Hyndai Kona battery as a power source for industrial equipment

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Hugh G. Rektion, Nov 22, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hugh G. Rektion

Hugh G. Rektion New Member

Hi!
    Due to frequent power outages, I am considering using an EV battery as a power source for my 3-phase 380v industrial equipment (CNC machine, screw-type air compressor, band saw). The reason I choosing that EV because of its output voltage, which perfectly fits my machines (380v,~ 60A)

But I am a complete amateur in EV and electrical things in general, and therefore I ask you for help on the following:

1. Am i right that in order to use the battery I need to connect the charging device, connect the cooling line which will run through chiller and then connect the phase wires from my machines to battery's output terminals?

2. Will the firmware block the battery's operation if it "finds out" that the battery is being used outside the car?

3. Will I need additional equipment to get the pure sine or the battery provides the pure sine by default?

Will be very apppreciate for any inputs!

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. This Kona owners forum is unlikely to be useful for such a technical adventure, especially since it has nothing at all to do with the Kona.

It's clear from your questions that you have a lot of education to acquire in electrical engineering to design and construct such a potentially-hazardous system.

But the good news is that there are lots of other people who want to do this sort of thing and there will be PV (solar power) forums that can lend assistance, probably along the lines of home systems that use battery support and deliver 3-phase AC. You should be able to put something together from off the shelf parts but incorporating an existing EV battery seems to me to be the more difficult part because reverse-engineering an existing design is much harder than simply buying parts designed for the intended purpose.

Hugh G. Rektion likes this.
  4. The o/p from the battery terminals is DC, the equipment to be operated is A/C. So negative on that one.
    The only possibility would be to connect the equipment to be utilized directly to the inverter o/p bus feeding the drive motor.
    Load requires 39.444 kW (380*60*1.73) which the inverter would handle without any issue, providing questions 2 and 3 do not become a problem.
    Look forward to the you tube video;)

5. This would be the best option, using approved equipment for the requirements. Losses would be greater, but at least one could still drive the car to replenish its pack at a charging location unaffected by the outage if it was prolonged, use a backup on site battery while car is away getting recharged. That b/up on-site battery could also be supplemented by solar/wind options.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Check out the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and its V2L adapter to see what factory engineers are doing along these lines. However, the 380-Volt, 3-phase requirement is way beyond current V2L offerings.

Ginginova likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I had a brief email convo with a guy who was considering an ABB wind turbine inverter as an output device,
    maybe 6 kW or so, with a CCS plug and some hack to enable the fast-charging relays. It takes up to
    something like 600V in, and there may be a 240V split-phase variant which would be perfect. But he
    never got back to me with any further details or progress, if any.

I have some notes and a couple of spec sheets, I may pursue this further at some point. It would be
    nice to have the equivalent of the old Prius plug-out without having to buy a whole 'nother car.

_H*

9. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

Ignoring inefficiencies, math says there is less than 2 hours of use at your desired current. Not to mention start up surge current. Remember you must generate a third phase and it is not free.
    Hold a charging cable in your hand and ask if that will run those machines. The answer is no. IF you yanked a battery out and created an inverter, sure. Maybe.
    Plug in your car and run a machine shop?
    No