HV Charge / Sport Mode 0-60 and average MPG?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by alyssai, Jun 24, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. alyssai

alyssai Member

I tried HV Charge in Sport Mode for the first time cause I ran out of juice and the car was really zippy. Anyone willing to test out the 0-60 capabilities? I live in the city so there is no where I could possibly test this.

Also, it'd be nice to know what would be the freeway/city Average MPG when driving in this mode.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

Yes, already have. If you floor the pedal the modes are all the same speed. However, if you drive 0-60 while keeping it in electric mode (easiest in Econ mode), it is about 4 seconds slower to 60. This is because the battery doesn't provide enough power to max out the electric motor, it requires the extra power from the generator/engine (Genset) combo.

The numbers I got averaged 2 directions on a cold morning (unknown reduction in battery power) were, the i3 was in warmer weather so not totally fair comparison:
    Clarity running electric only: 13 sec
    Clarity Hybrid Modes (any): 9 sec
    Gen 1 Volt EV Only: 10 sec
    BMW i3 Rex, EV only: 7.5 sec
    This is using Torque Pro! over OBDII, so not using accelerometer. Should be consistent between my individual runs, but the exact number will be different from magazine (they do 0-60 a bit differently, like allowing the car to roll a few feet before starting, etc).

So the Clarity is pretty quick for a 4000 lb sedan. I imagine magazine time would be around 8 seconds, which I think most are. It is a bit faster than my Gen 1 Volt was if the Clarity uses hybrid mode.

Sport mode makes the go pedal much more aggressive and kick on engine easier (even just under brisk acceleration, so watch it ;) ). I much prefer sport mode, but Econ isn't bad, just push the pedal a lot more and it is snappy in that mode too.

Edit: Sport mode doesn't change MPG really, but might change your driving habits which will change MPG. It really just makes everything more responsive and easier to drive fast. Longer trips I prefer Sport mode as it plays a lot nicer with the ACC+LSF (adaptive cruise with low speed follow), accelerating quicker back to speed.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    AndyBA and insightman like this.
  4. alyssai

alyssai Member

Wow thanks for the info! I have a friend who didn't want to get the Clarity because it's slow. In actuallity, it's only slow if you want to save money (EV & Econ Mode). But with its full power it can be fast too! Having the choice to save money or go fast makes it even a better car.

5. Viking79

What kinds of cars do they drive? I find the Clarity "Quick Enough". I wouldn't really call it fast though, but you can easily out accelerate most traffic that is driving normally. You don't really have the opportunity to drive fast on a daily basis anyway, this is why I wan't a car with 0-60 of about 8 seconds as reported by the magazines (like the Clarity).

However, I wouldn't really call anything "Fast" until it is sub 6 second range. It is all relative though ;) A BMW 435 (0-60 in about 5 sec) absolutely smoked my i3 off the line, it wasn't even funny. Most people mess up the launch and won't beat the i3, but they were evidently good at launching and I think used some sort of launch control. It was half a block ahead by the time I hit 30 (this was in a quiet area with no traffic, and I only went up to the speed limit).

6. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

Car and Driver measured 7.6 sec 0-60 (https://www.caranddriver.com/honda/clarity) and Alex on Autos measured 7.5 seconds in full hybrid mode (with charged battery) and about 9.5 sec in EV only. Most impressively, he measured a stopping distance of 118 ft 60-0 which bests virtually all EVs and PHEVs (Tesla Model 3 is about 135 ft after their software fix--was 152 feet before as measured by Consumer Reports).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

Cars have gotten crazy fast. A 2018 Honda Accord 2.0 will do 0-60 in 5.5 sec. Yes, a four door economy mid-size car. Compare that to a 1988 Porsche 944, a 2-door RWD sports car, that did it in 8.5 sec. Heck, if you believe Car and Driver and Alex on Autos' measured times, the Clarity would beat that Porsche by several car lengths in a drag race.

9. Viking79

A Porsche 944 was a cheap base 4 cyl model ;) They made faster variants, but it was the Porsche for people who couldn't afford the expensive ones. Just as the Boxster later. Because of the lower price they were some of their best selling models. I imagine that the Clarity could beat a base model one, or at least be close. It definitely wins in comfort.

If used to slower cars the Clarity definitely feels quick if you stomp on it. I bring up the point as if the original poster's friend is used to the 5.5 second Accord speeds the Clarity is slow. If they are used to a Prius it is a race car.

I will check Clarity again with a hot battery to see how it does, the battery was cold (unheated garage in winter, probably 50F) for my last test, which might limit power.

10. ab13

ab13 Active Member

An issue is that most people don't have training our experience driving cars that accelerate that fast. At about 6 seconds or faster, this is very quick, in that if you mess up you can go off the road if you hit a bump or dip in the road.

11. alyssai

alyssai Member

I think it's just the general stereotype that electric and hybrid cars are slower than ICE cars. For the Clarity, I think the HV/Sport mode doesn't feel any different than accelerating in an ICE car.

12. To remove this ad click here.