How to switch from HV Charge to HV

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by West1, Dec 22, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. West1

West1 Member

How do I stop HV Charge and switch down to HV?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

You can't go from HV Charge directly to HV.
    If you are in HV Charge and press the HV button, it will put you into EV mode.
    From there, you can press again to get HV.

Manual Snip:
    : ksnip_20211222-173414.png

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    DaleL likes this.
  4. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

If you just wait for the Charge to complete it will automatically return to HV mode.

neal adkins likes this.
  5. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I thought if the car is in HV Charge mode and you push and hold the HV button it will switch from HV Charge to HV. Is that true or not?

6. West1

West1 Member

I tried and it didn’t work.

If you press the buttons once it’s EV mode. Press it too quick and it won’t change to HV. Wait too long and the motor has shut down by the time you select hv. I was using a scangauge to watch motor rpm. Also switching to HV from Hv charge could still and most often result in the engine shutting off. It would run on EV for about .2 of a mile before the ICE would engage.

I’d like to have seen better user controls of when and how to keep the ICE turned on and/or clutch connected.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Just press the HV button twice to switch from HV Charge to HV. When pressed the HV button switches from either HV or HV Charge to EV, or from EV to HV. I believe, a press and hold from either EV or HV will engage HV Charge.

In HV Mode the engine will run and stop as necessary. Low power demand, for example, may result in the engine shutting down for a brief period. You may see EV Mode displayed. More power or a need to maintain battery SOC will result in the engine running. There isn’t a way to control the engine in HV mode.

It will run in HV Charge Mode. It will not run in EV mode if you avoid aggressive acceleration. In HV Mode, by definition, the car behaves as a Hybrid, using both gas and electricity.

Engine Drive Mode (clutch engaged) will only operate at speeds above 45mph. It will disengage under moderate acceleration. It has reportedly remained engaged up to 85mph. Some folks have reported success in forcing EDM to engage by switching from HV, to EV and back to HV. I’ve had moderate success getting it to engage by easing off the accelerator until just a touch of regen shows, and then easing back on the accelerator. It will disengage when the vehicle is operated outside of the speed and torque parameters which need to be met in order for it to engage.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  9. West1

West1 Member

Comments above in bold. I was using a scangaugeII to monitor instant mpg, rpm, and engine load.

Once I start driving on my routine route I can better observe and post notes about what I see.

Driving back from NYC, Salem MA, then to Atlanta I got 42mpg with only one battery charge. Started on empty battery; thanks to the crook dealership Statin Island Honda.

10. I’d prefer that you refrain from adding words within my quotes, bold or otherwise, when quoting my statements.

Modern cars function as designed by mechanical and software engineers. Until something goes awry. I felt it wasn’t necessary to include the words that you added.