How to hard reset the headunit?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Arctiic, Jun 17, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I tried the 12V reset method but couldn't seem to get it to work even after waiting 10 minutes. I'm dealing with a soft-brick/boot loop issue, so would like to know what other options I can try? I'm thinking of just directly disconnecting the unit (I already know how to do so), but how long does it take to discharge and will this actually achieve the same function as a factory reset? Or any other methods (e.g., via ADB, etc)?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

holding the power button on the head unit normally initiates a reboot, but that assumes it is already running properly. I assume there is a sequence of powering on while holding a button that would get you into a boot menu of some sort, but I don't know what it would be.

What were you doing when this problem began?

Try googling for similar situations with an Accord... The head units seem to be fairly close.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  4. The method to boot into safe mode isn't working, and unfortunately I've yet to find anything on booting into recovery or other menus.

I was modifying some of the Root\Config data files. I've tried asking around whether ADB backup/restore works or not, but no answers thus far, otherwise I'd have taken a backup prior to modifying anything.

5. MrFixit

Well, you might be in for an embarrassing [and expensive] trip the the dealer for them to 'fix' your car.

I totally get your desire to tinker with things... Personally, I try to resist this temptation because there is a big difference between bricking a few hundred dollar phone and a $30K vehicle !

Please keep us posted... Anything you learn in this painful process could be useful to others who may be faced with this unfortunate scenario.

I saw a reference (not a Clarity, maybe an Accord of Civic) where someone was able to recover by disconnecting the 12V battery for a much longer time (I think it was maybe 1.5 hours). I have no idea whether that makes sense, but it is not hard to try.

6. I've "fixed" this issue once before unintentionally, when my 12V had died on me. It's just that I don't know how we can tell when the HMU fully discharges, I tried waiting 10 minutes but no luck. Yeah, now that you mention that, I think I'll just unplug it overnight.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Disconnected for two hours, didn't work. After that, I even removed the head unit completely (removed panel, removed mounting screws, disconnected the grey and blue headers), but still couldn't get the anti-theft power loss screen to come up. What in the world is going on??

9. MrFixit

Just out of curiosity - With a dead, or bricked head unit (or even with it completely removed), is the vehicle operational?
    Can you 'start' and drive it without a head unit in place?

10. I did not make any attempts at moving operations with the vehicle while the HMU was removed, so I'm not too sure about that. Since my unit is not actually fully bricked (it's stuck in a boot loop of sorts), I am still able to operate the vehicle like normal even in its current state. However, it does make it very inconvenient to not have access to, e.g., settings to reset the TPMS light, etc. Also, the rear backup camera channel is still operational when shifting to Reverse, only just without the camera view type option overlay/buttons.

11. MrFixit

@Arctiic -
    Have you solved this problem? Another forum member has just reported the same thing.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Not yet! As ridiculous as it sounds, it seems the only way to trigger the system wipe (i.e., bring up the anti-theft prompt) is by having a bad/dead battery. So far, I haven't found a way to intentionally trigger it. I'm pretty sure there's gotta be other ways to try, like booting into recovery menu, but haven't had a chance to look into it yet. Since it's boot looping, pretty sure ADB won't work at this point.

14. Jimmy Vo

Jimmy Vo Member

@Arctiic , I am having the same problem, the infotainment screen keeps rebooting at H logo, unplugged 12v did not work. Please let me know if you find a solution.

15. Jimmy Vo

Jimmy Vo Member

Quick update. Since my clarity is still under warranty, so I took it to the dealer. They inspected, the unit has to be replaced. They ordered and replaced it for me.

16. For what it's worth, I did end up fixing it just a few moments ago! As it turns out, Codeage (the HH dev) has a `recovery.sh` file kindly hosted on one of his resource pages (here). One thing to take note of: I couldn't get it to boot into recovery in port 1 (driver side), and had to use port 2 (passenger side). However, it's also possible it just required a few boot attempts/amount of time before it successfully did so.
    Worked perfectly for me other than that, overall just find it really strange that there's no manual bypass to trigger factory reset without either killing the 12V or doing this.

17. MrFixit

@Arctiic

Thanks for the update.
    If you could elaborate on a few related questions, it may help others faced with a similar problem...
    1. Please explain exactly how you got this boot menu - You stated that you had this 'recovery.sh' on a USB drive in Port 2... Then what? Did you need to do a battery disconnect again, or just powered up the vehicle as normal?
    2. This recovery procedure is specifically to remove Honda Hack. Was it an attempt to install HH that broke your system?
    3. Once you got the boot menu above, did you simply do the 'reboot system now' or did you execute one or more of the other options (in which order)?
    4. Finally, now that you are up and running again, do you have HH installed and working, or are you back to a factory configuration?
    Which version of HH caused this? I installed version 5.1.3 almost a year ago, and it has been trouble-free.
    I see there have been 4 versions since then, but I have not attempted to update.

1. Yes, as I explained, you just need to make sure the USB drive is formatted to FAT32 file format and then download the `recovery.sh` file from the link provided. Then, simply plug it into your passenger-side USB port and turn on your vehicle, it should automatically boot to the recovery menu from there. If it doesn't, try rebooting and making sure the USB drive is securely plugged in.
      No, I was making modifications to the kernel and system UI data files directly. I've been running the latest version of HH with no issues, but this procedure should be useful for many different situations; for this particular scenario, when one needs to factory reset without user space access to the frontend system settings.
      I wiped the cache first, then wiped data/factory reset, then reboot. The cache wipe might not be necessary, but don't mess with anything else unless you know what you're doing, or you may perma-brick your unit!
      Yes, it was back to factory configuration but I went to the trouble of reapplying all my customizations. I do clearly recall there is a import/export option in one of the diagnostics screens, but it doesn't indicate what exactly is backed up or restored. I would think ADB backup/restore should be a viable option, but have not personally tried it out yet.
    HH did not cause this issue, but did provide the solve for it in either case. For what it's worth, I was running the most current test version.

18. BinaryIdiot

BinaryIdiot New Member

CA
    Not to bring up an old thread but I'm running into a similar issue where my head unit is very unresponsive and I've been trying to get into the recovery menu to attempt a factory reset. Is HH required in order to boot into recovery? I don't have HH installed and so far I haven't had any luck getting into recovery with a USB drive and the recovery script.

19. As far as I'm aware, HH should not be required to boot into recovery, you should only need to have the USB drive formatted to the correct partition type and have the `recovery.sh` file placed in the root directory of the thumb drive. I can't say for certain only because I technically did have HH activated and also root access on the head unit at the time I performed the steps I had listed above. Note that it did take me several attempts and reboots before I was able to successfully boot into the recovery menu despite already performing the correct steps. You may want to try 2-3 times, and if still no luck then switch over to an alternate USB port and repeat.

20. BinaryIdiot

BinaryIdiot New Member

CA
    After doing some experimentation, I was never able to get a boot into recovery mode as is BUT once I installed HH (which took a very long time), I was able to boot right into it with no issues. Seems you need root (or possibly some other option HH sets) in order to use recovery mode.

Unfortunately doing a cache wipe and a factory reset did not resolve my issue of the infotainment center being very slow and not even able to play bluetooth audio without breaks. Seems like I'm at the point where something needs to be replaced, I guess.

Thanks for the very helpful thread!

21. Ray L.

Ray L. New Member

Perhaps my case may be similar. The other day my radio display fails to boot up when my Clarity start up. The screen remains blank. I tried holding the radio power location as well as removing 12V overnight. Both fails to reinitialize the radio display. I can see the radio display back lit turns off and on but the screen remains blank. What fixes the problem finally was when I removed my usb drive containing music from the center console. The Honda logo came on the screen immediately. The rest of the system came afterwards. I checked my usb drive in the computer and indeed it has become defective. Seem a bad USB drive can hang the radio unit from booting up. Hope this helps.

gedwin, MrFixit and insightman like this.
  22. MrNodozo

MrNodozo New Member

Haven't posted in a while and was about to regarding this issue but solved it. As I haven't seen my solution posted I wanted to at least share it:

My USB port was probably dirty. Leading up to today's issue, I noticed connecting my iPhone was getting very temperamental. It would easily connect but needed to be left undisturbed on the tray. Any nudge and it would disconnect.

This was an early symptom because today, my display because completely unresponsive. It was initially fine this morning until I made a 5 minute stop, and upon returning and reconnecting my phone, it connected but would not accept any interactions on the touch screen.

I was about to start unplugging batteries when I noticed the display was actually giving a few clues. When starting the car, it seemed to go very quickly past the disclaimer warning, into the general car menu and straight to the "no device connected" message (not sure the exact verbiage).

Solution: Thinking there was a minor short circuit down there, I plugged/unplugged my USB cable several times from the car's port. (The phone wasn't even attached to the other end). The thought was to dislodge any foreign matter causing the issue. After doing that a few times, I restarted the car and the unit was fully cooperative. YMMV but I wanted to document this in the hopes it may help someone.

insightman likes this.