How to extend the life of the battery?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by PHEV Newbie, Apr 9, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

A major concern of EV owners is range. Nothing is worse for the range than for the battery pack to degrade. Although Honda provides a 8 yr/100K warranty (higher in some states), what is covered is vague:

High Voltage Battery Capacity Warranty:
    Gradual capacity loss of the high voltage battery is expected and not covered under warranty. Greater than normal degradation is covered for 8 years or 100,000 miles, and can be determined by an authorized Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid dealer.

What are your tips to reduce battery degradation? For phones and laptops, there are basic principles (e.g., https://www.popsci.com/charge-batteries-right ) and the stuff I found online for EVs is similar. Some of the top tips include 1) avoiding temperature extremes; 2) charge and discharge as shallow as possible; 3) avoid full charges and full discharges (i.e., keep your battery hovering between 30-80% as much as possible).

For point 2, I suppose that means doing as slow of a charge as possible (exclusive use of the 110 V charger?) and avoiding quick accelerations and high speeds. For point 3, it means partially charging more often, after every short trip for example. I don't think there is anything special about EV lithium ion batteries so that these principles don't apply. For most of us, adopting these practices would be really inconvenient so it's probably best just to drive and enjoy the car and not worry about it. Interesting to know though.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Atul Thakkar

Atul Thakkar Active Member

I kind of agree with you on last sentence, enjoy and forget about it. following are reasons.
    1) There are so many battery packs which works well after even 10 years for other brands such as Prius , Honda civic and so on.
    2) That's why we choose Honda and not any other brands.-Quality.
    3) After 10 year the same battery will not cost more that 3K , so why worry right now ?

dstrauss likes this.
  4. K8QM

K8QM Active Member

I'm in the drive reasonably and try not to over think it camp. But I'm also hoping that when it gets to the point they'll be a replacement battery at half the weight and twice capacity!

geo

KentuckyKen likes this.
  5. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

The problem with that theory is the question "will the new replacement battery still work with the Clarity computer".
    The Prius battery packs from 10 years ago were Nickel Metal Hydride batteries, not Lithium Ion.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  6. kkiran

kkiran Member

While we are on this topic, I just found that my battery at 100% shows an EV range of 39miles. A new low! With a Tesla, to calibrate the readings, I used to almost deplete the battery and then do a full charge.

Is the 39mile EV range based on my last trip (sport mode)? I have 368miles on the odometer.

IMG_2355.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. LAF

LAF Active Member

WHAT IS THE TEMP OUTSIDE?

9. kkiran

kkiran Member

40F when I drove to work in the morning. Right now it is about 57F in the closed garage where it is parked.

10. LAF

LAF Active Member

THAT EXPLAINS IT- WILL GO UP AS TEMP GOES UP

11. kkiran

kkiran Member

Thanks! Looks like your caps lock is on!

12. To remove this ad click here.