How to disable LKA permanently?

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Heikki Perttula, Oct 23, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. any way to disable this annoying lane keeping assistant for good?tired of pushing the button every time you drive away...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TheHellYouSay

TheHellYouSay Member

I have seen a lot of complaints about this issue and it's never been a problem for me, so I had to research it. My car will only invoke the Lane Keep Assist when I'm using Adaptive Cruise Control, which I find it to be quite useful in that situation. I think a key setting would be in the menus that are made available by pressing the button on the right hand side of the steering wheel that alters the display on the dashboard. The first page is your mileage and so on, the second push brings you to tire pressure, the third push will bring you to the menu for various settings. The first option should be something like Lane Safety. If you choose that you are given 2 options - Lane Keep Assist or Lane Departure Warning. I have mine set to Lane Departure Warning and I never experience Lane Keep Assist EXCEPT, as mentioned earlier, when using cruise control. Of course, there are the beeps when I leave my lane, but I'm hard of hearing, even with my HAs, so that's not a problem for me, but you might hate that worse than fighting the wheel.

Although I am sure that KIA could have provided more options, I'm please with this setup. The lane change and backup warnings have been helpful to me on a few occasions. I am in the U.S., so not sure if your menus, or programming, would be exactly the same.

4. TheHellYouSay

TheHellYouSay Member

On the way to the store this evening, I switched that setting I mentioned and it did not make any difference. I did not feel the car trying to steer for me, nor did I hear the beeps as I crossed the center line, so now I don't know really what that menu setting is supposed to do. I sort of expected to see that green steering wheel on the dash lit up without Adaptive Cruise Control being deployed, but as far as I could tell there was nothing different about the way the car drove. I was on a 2 lane winding road and I did not see Lane Keep Assist try to "take the wheel" even when I was wandering over the center line.

To make a long story short, I no longer think my suggestion was helpful. The car overwhelms me at times with all of it's different options.