How many SEs were sold from 2020 -2022 in USA ?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Rexsio, Oct 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

93A7E00D-0D7D-4A49-9D2C-FA94FE40EBBA.jpeg
    BMW i3 was here for 9 years and they sold 42975 units .How Mini Cooper is doing in 3 years?I can’t find any real statistics only on SE.With a range of SE as BMW since 2020 a sales drop drastically.Is SE is going the same way after being on market for so short time to be dinosaur with it range?ATTACH=full]18662[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Somewhere recently I read that Oxford was cranking out 40,000 SEs per year, but that doesn't tell us how many have been sold in the US.

4. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Could be world wide and Europe must be a biggest market they don’t drive as we do .

5. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

I read that as well. I also read that China's SE manufacturing line will produce 160,000 vehicles, almost all of which will be for the Chinese market, though BMW was negotiating for more cars to be exported.

6. CuriousGeorge

No doubt on both.

However, obviously the answer to the question of how many SEs have been sold in the US is "less than 40,000/year" (which is completely unhelpful, I recognize).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CuriousGeorge

Soooo....I also recently read somewhere that part of the motivation for shifting SE production to China were the constraints imposed by building both ICE and EV versions in Oxford.

Doing the math:

40,000 SEs/in Oxford
    SEs representing 1 in 3 vehicles produced there
    Therefore total factory output = 120,000
    Worldwide demand for MINI EVs = up to 160,000

Put it all together, and it appears that MINI at least believes that the worldwide demand for SEs is or at least will soon be so great that they couldn't build enough of them even if they switched the Oxford plant to 100% EVs. That makes it appear that the decision to move all SE production elsewhere driven by more than just costs.

9. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

if you have a number 1/3 of 40000 means is 13000 SEs who cares 160000 demand .
    13000 SE a year?so far and what from that get to USA as BMW i3 3000 -4000 units means in 3 years we get 12000 SEs here means as SE EVs is nothing for big market as USA bc no range of those cars no so many buyers any different manufacturers selling those start ups EV with double range for so little more money.As a signature is gone and credit is gone they not any more so competitive to different manufacturers as a base transportation as not luxury crab for $ /80000/$200000 only snobs buying SE and I’m one of those no range ,fun to drive ,good dynamics ,2 sitter, and I’m not an English.

10. KiwiRob

KiwiRob Member

The reason why the new MINI electric isn't being made in the UK is due to Brexit, with the requirement by the British government to add import tariffs on every part imported for production it's added approx 10% to the manufacturing costs, along with delays in customs clearing the parts it's caused havoc with MINI's just in time manufacturing process.

The Countryman EV will be made in Germany alongside the BMW iX1 which it's based on. BMW say the plant isn't set up to make EV's which is odd because they were praising the plants efficiency in being able to make 3 dr, 5dr, Clubman and SE all on the same production line a few years ago. In 2007 they built 237,700 at Oxford. I suspect the Oxford plant along with BMW's Hams Hall engine plant will close down in the near future.

11. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Another reason is that the next-generation car is a new design that will require a different manufacturing process altogether. It will take time and resources to re-tool Oxford to build the new model, and MINI won't want to stop shipping vehicles during that transition.

The headlines saying that MINI are "moving" the manufacturing to China are technically inaccurate. They're starting new production of a new design at a new factory, and the Oxford factory cannot instantaneously start building that new design.

12. To remove this ad click here.