How fast is your DC fast charging?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Regnaston, Sep 1, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I have only fast charged a couple times since getting the vehicle two weeks ago (once because I wanted to make sure it worked and once because I couldn't plug in while at work like I usually do).

The first time I got 55ish kW today however I got 78kW ... I have seen people report 77kW before so I was shocked when the EVSE screen and the screen in the car both said 78. It only did it for a couple minutes though

Anyone else get 78 before?

IMG_20220901_153508.jpg

markintosh13 likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

I briefly hit 76 once which was nice; I believe the 2020 Kona is officially rated for 75KW. I've only used DCFC a few times and the one charger I've used the most is a 50KW EVGo, so most of my DCFC experience has been 40-50KW limited by the station...

4. We hit over 70KW many times this summer and maxed out at 83-84KW seven times! Electrify Canada and Electric Circuit (Quebec Hydro) got up there. Petro Canada got up to 79KW.
    Unless it is very hot and the car is trying to keep the battery cool, I think it has a lot more to do with how the DC charger is "feeling" rather than the car in terms of your maximum charge. That and of course the Percent on your battery. After 78% the car always started to throttle the power, though a couple times it stayed over 60KW into 83-85%! Usually though, it'd be down to 40KW or lower.

5. Humane

Humane New Member

When mine was new I could receive almost 74kw. Lately, it's not charging at more than about 35 kw.

6. eurokeitai

eurokeitai New Member

The Max amps I've seen Kona ask is 208A and the voltage where the Amperage request first drops is 384V, so 79kW is the peak.

Before the BMS recall updates, the max Kona would ever ask from a charger was 200A, which would just about round to 77kW.

Kirk likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.