How do I know if Bolt emergency braking actually works?

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by Tim Miser, Jan 3, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tim Miser

Tim Miser New Member

So I have 12,000 miles in 9 months of driving my Bolt Premiere and have yet to experience any hint of emergency braking kicking in. Sure I've had the red flashing alert chime many times when the car thinks there is reason for it, but actually feeling any kind of braking kicking in? Not yet. My wife's Nissan Rouge with the same feature periodically auto brakes when it thinks it needs to and you definitely notice it. Has anyone with this feature felt their auto-brake ever engage?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. WadeTyhon

WadeTyhon Well-Known Member

I have noticed it engage in two ways. On a slight slant (like my driveway) it will make a soft, brief whirring noise when you press park. I do not hear this when I park on a flat plane.

I find it is more noticeable if you are in Drive and use regen braking to come to a complete stop on a hill.

If the car starts to slowly roll while stopped (but your foot is not on the brake) there will be a loud thump. Followed by the parking brake noise I mentioned before.

I tried up upload a video just now from my driveway but it would not accept .mov file type!

4. Tim Miser

Tim Miser New Member

Hi Wade, sorry I didn't explain clearly, I'm referring to the automatic braking options in the driver confidence II option package with braking that would stop/slow down the car if the car was moving and detected an impending collision. The features are called "low speed forward automatic braking" and "front pedestrian braking".

5. Cypress

Cypress Active Member

PNW
    Not sure how it works in the Bolt, but some systems are designed to only come on if the car determines there is no alternative and a collision is unavoidable. I don’t think if you are driving properly, you should ever notice such a system.

6. WadeTyhon

WadeTyhon Well-Known Member

Ooooh okay lol. AEB features.

I hear people refer to the parking brake as the emergency brake. So I thought that is what you meant.

Anyways, can’t help there, I have a premier but the only option I added was DCFC.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Active Member

I have had the warning lights on the dash in front of the driver, and the warning chirp come on briefly two different times. Neither time did braking occur, that I could detect.