Hottest battery temp that I ever observed on my Kona..

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Aug 4, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Charged on a hot day here in Central Florida at a 50kw charger. 45% to 85%. Battery Temperature went all the way up to 102.2 F/39 C but it appears that battery cooling worked flawless..

FB_IMG_1596590640388.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I had battery up to 45°C. Sitting in a hot parking lot all day in Nevada sun. It cools down very fast when turning on the car to about 35°C in about 15-20 minutes.

4. FloridaSun

wow, 45C is seriously hot.. but based on statements from Hyundai UK, the system will not shut down until it reaches 60C..

5. Good to hear these reports that the active cooling system works. However I think it is the only major flaw in the Kona electric not to give an indication of the battery temperature available to the average user in the form of at least a gauge, without access to 3rd party software .
    I hope in future models this is addressed:oops:

Domenick likes this.
  6. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

Just checked Battery University on li-on high charging temps:
    Battery type ....Charge temperature. .........Discharge temperature
    Li-ion .............0°C to 45°C (32°F to 113°F) ....–20°C to 60°C (–4°F to 140°F)
    Sounds like 45 is at the highest recommended for charging.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

Do other EV's have battery temperature gauges??

9. FloridaSun

So, it looks like it's not hot enough to worry about it.. Thanks..

10. On a recent 895KM day trip to Kelowna and Kamloops, my last DC charge was in Kamloops. 32 C outside, charged 40 to 80% before hitting the Coquihalla on last leg home to Langley. Battery temp at 48 C going up the 'hill' at about 110 KMH. Stayed at a steady 48 C until grade levelled off some. Charge time was 41 minutes at PetroCan. Excellent trip. As a side mention... next time we'll pack lawn chairs so that we can wait in the shade during charging. :)

Domenick likes this.
  11. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Ok, so how are you checking the battery temperature?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. It seems the Kona was parked and I gather it's not programmed to turn on the AC in that situation.

14. Yes, in my case it is always parked. It sits in the parking lot while I'm at work. And it gets really hot here in Vegas. Interestingly module #4 usually gets the hottest with 45°C. The other 3 modules are usually 2-3 degrees cooler. I guess #4 is under the back seats (???) and maybe gets hotter because of the hot interior and less outside facing surface?

But as I mentioned, I usually turn on the AC remotely before I leave work and that starts the cool-down process since the car not only cools the inside of the car, but also the battery pack.

While driving I've never experienced that hot of a battery pack.

15. Using this one: https://evobd2.com

16. FloridaSun

OBD2 reader (approx. $11) and Torque Pro App for Android ($4 or so)

17. FloridaSun

I doubt that the parked car will turn on battery cooling..

18. FloridaSun

I have the same experience.. Module 4 is always the hottest...

19. It definitely doesn't. Only if it's plugged in and charges. I'm not sure if it will start cooling if it's plugged in but not charging because it hit the set maximum charge level.

20. FloridaSun

I don't think that it will start battery cooling if charge session is not active..
    It appears to me that the cooling system of my wife's BMW i3 kicks in at lower temperatures than on the Kona.. If the car sits in the hot garage and I charge the Kona, battery cooling rarely comes on.. If my wife's BMW i3 sits in the hot garage and I charge the car with our Level 2 charger, battery cooling kicks in immediately.. It's also louder than the cooling of the Kona..

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Esprit1st likes this.