HondaLink registration woes

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Heino, Sep 6, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Heino

Heino Active Member

I've owned my new Clarity for almost a week now, and have been trying to register my HondaLink app to the car.

I've read stories where this is a pretty common issue... registration fails when I try to create a personalized pin. The funny thing though - I see my odometer reading as well as the location of my car in the app.

So, I pick up the phone and call Honda. After a brief wait on hold (about 2 minutes) a friendly voice answers the phone. I tell her who I am and what I want, and she congratulates me on purchasing my new Honda. Sure thing... I did it for you. /sarcasm

Anyway, she reads through her documentation to find a cause for this error, places me on a brief hold, and when she returns she offers me a quick solution.

"Sir, you simply need to go to your vehicle and press either the blue or green HondaLink button. When the operator comes on, they will walk you through the setup process - as they are the ones who will give you a pin which you will need to enter into your car."

OK?!? I don't recall ever seeing a HondaLink button in my vehicle.. just three Homelink buttons. Again, she briefly places me on hold and when she returns - I am told she will need to create a ticket and escalate it to Tier 2. Someone will be in touch with me in 5 to 7 days.

Sigh.

If I can just get this app working on my phone, my decision to purchase the Clarity was 100% correct. No regrets. I love driving this car everyday.

Now, I just wish I had a little larger battery - as I want to remain in EV mode for as much as possible. So far though, the range has worked out very well. Haven't used a drop of gas since I have purchased the car.

Anyways... just wanted to share my frustrations. :D

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You've already given up having a spare tire to achieve the Clarity Plug-In Hybrid's EPA-rated 47 miles of EV range. Would you willingly give up most of your trunk to add the extra battery capacity of the Clarity Electric to gain another 42 miles of EV range? Unfortunately, having both the ICE and the trunk-filling battery expansion would make for a very heavy Clarity, so the combo-car probably would not be able to match the BEV's 89-mile range.

4. lanb

lanb Active Member

I had the same issue - Invalid pin error. I gave up after a few tries and went to bed.

It magically worked the next day. So give it a day or so and if it still doesn't work, call honda tech support.

BTW, the location you see (aka parking reminder) without the PIN is the location of your phone, not the car :)

To see the location of the car you have to choose "find my car" which is only available after the PIN linking just like
    climate control.

For a big car company, they sure have bad software developers.

5. Heino

Heino Active Member

Yeah, I understand the size constraints etc. of adding more battery - but a guy can dream!

6. To remove this ad click here.