HondaLink Charging Status does not update

Discussion in 'Honda' started by Ben Washburn, Sep 11, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ben Washburn

Ben Washburn Member

Ok, I'm brand new to Clarity, brand new to Honda, brand new to any sort of electric anything; the last new car I bought was in 1999! So all this electronic magic, is magic to me.

One piece of magic is what I think is called HondaLink--an app on my phone and in the infotainment system. I've installed it to my phone, got the secret number, linked it, seems right, knows my name, my car, status, all that jazz. But it doesn't seem to communicate in real time, at l//r/t charging status. I only get status as of the last time I fiddled with the car, that seems to update automatically, but I can't get real-time updates of the charging status.

So if I plug it in at 6 pm, my phone will update remotely--meaning I don't have it with me when I plug in the car--and show, say, charging with a level of 57% as of 6 pm. If I check my phone an hour later it'll still say charging with a level of 57% as of 6 pm. I swipe it down to force it to update, it spins, relogs, but no update. I can shut the app down, turn off the phone, start over, and it'll log on showing charging with a level of 57% as of 6 pm.

Now, if I go unplug the charger, I'll get an update--say, 77% as of 7 pm or whatever. If I start the electrics, I believe I get an update. So I can 'push' updates from the car--which is pointless--but I can't pull them.

We can stipulate that I'm an idiot when it comes to these things. But beyond that, any ideas what might be wrong? Assuming I SHOULD be able to get real time charging status updates?

And how is it communicating those updates, assuming I should be getting them? Through cell? Some satellite? Can't be wifi, can it? Certainly not bluetooth, or it's only good for 20 feet or something. Could it be because my car is in the garage and whatever magic its using can't penetrate?

Daniel M W likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Ben Washburn

Ben Washburn Member

More info--I just went and stood next to the car and forced an update with my phone, and it updated. I could also make it start and stop charging with my phone.

Seriously, this can't be communicating via bluetooth, can it?

4. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Well-Known Member

Read here: Hondalink refresh rate
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/Hondalink-refresh-rate.1167/

Search “HondaLink update” for a lot more information.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. Ben Washburn

Ben Washburn Member

My bad--I scanned all the threads here in Clarity, but of course this particular issue could have been addressed in lots of places and I should have searched!

So sure enough, it happens I'd started charging at 65%, and one of those posters mentioned that the refresh intervals were 25%, 40%, 55%, 70%, and 85%, and I got an update a few minutes ago at 70%.

So for the benefit of folks looking on the Clarity forum, that's the answer--it refreshes only when it hits one of those set intervals. Also, I pulled and replugged it, and got an update on my phone upstairs that charging had stopped. So in addition it seems like if something interrupts the charging you'll get an immediate notification.

So that's all good to know! Now if I can just get Homelink to work!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    David A likes this.
  6. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

The car has built-in cellular low-data communication courtesy of Honda to run HondaLink.

Jed likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. dalbeck

dalbeck Member

PA
    Another user had suggested hitting the Find my car feature in the Honda Link app and after it finishes pinging it the main screen with the battery charging status will update. I can confirm that does work and have used it a couple of times now.

At home I installed the ChargePoint L2 Home station and that app is great with providing real-time data and cost of charge.

Ben Washburn and Johnhaydev like this.
  9. jeff10236

jeff10236 Member

Yeah, I've found HondaLink to be one of the weak points on this car. On the phone it doesn't update often, and I can never get it to show me local chargers. I've only once (the first time I used it) had it work on the dash, and it won't work at all since. No biggie though. The phone app will eventually update and tell you how far it has charged, and it is good about letting me know when I'm fully charged. Meanwhile, if you use one of the charging networks like EVGo or Chargepoint, they will update you in real time how much charge has been added and you can usually figure out roughly how much more it has to go based upon that. As for not being able to get the dash or phone app to tell me where local charger stations are, that's no big deal since EVGo and Chargepoint apps have them as well as Plugshare which tells you every nearby public station regardless of network.

10. nvn

nvn New Member

Lots of time my HondaLink app shows -- for EV HV range and 0% for battery. Do you guys get that "error"? Are there tricks to force update on the app?

11. chris5168

chris5168 Member

I tried everything (reset garage door opener, reset/erased buttons in car, tried way too many times etc) ended up having to use a handheld remote for the garage door that worked, the coded it to the car. On our Honda Odyssey, I only had to hit the button on the back of the garage door then the Odyssey button. So try the hand held remote following flowchart in manual. Hope that helps.

12. To remove this ad click here.