HondaLink App “real-time” charging info

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ZedFez, Jul 12, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ZedFez

ZedFez Member

If this has been addressed before please disregard, but having only owned the car for 2 days, I’ve been frustrated by the HondaLink app’s inability to give me “real-time” charging information. Have tried numerous actions on the app such as: Swipe-down refreshing (the information disappears, then re-appears having not changed), shutting down and restarting the app has not worked, etc... THIS IS WHAT WORKED: The app seems to default to the “Dashboard” page. From there select “Vehicle” on the bottom, Select “Find My Car,” (the app will initially give you the last known location of your Clarity). Ignore that and select “Locate Vehicle.” It often takes about a minute, but this consistently refreshes the Dashboard charging info for the current time.

zman likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

I can imagine uncommon situations where this would be important to me (so I understand some of this frustration). Mostly, I figure watched water never boils. In the morning I have a fully charged car.

4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

This has been addressed in another thread. Remember, the car communicates by cellular data to and from Honda’s server and Honda pays for this bandwidth while providing it to us for free. So to save bandwidth and therefore money, Honda has it update only periodically. It has been noted that it updates at 15% SOC intervals. So you will see 100, 85, 70, 55, 40, 25, and 10% but not any update in between. It also updates at startup and shutdown. You can see this by the time given “as of”.

ClarityDoc, Kailani and Johnhaydev like this.
  5. ZedFez

ZedFez Member

Thanks for the explaination. Good to know the app is not malfunctioning. Makes sense!

6. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Active Member

Is this free forever or a limited time and then for a fee?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Carro con enchufe

Carro con enchufe Active Member

You can calculate current SOC by looking at the time stamp and adding 4miles/hour at 120v and 22 miles/hour at 240v. For example, if it says 40% SOC, 25 miles of range, 20 minutes ago, you know you probably now have 32 miles if you’re plugged into 240v. If you’re plugged into 120v, close the app and go back to sleep. It charges slower on 120v if you’re constantly checking it.

9. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Well, there is no official Honda communication that says it’s not and no mention of a subscription needed after a certian amount of time. So it looks like it came with the car at purchase in perpetuity.
    So if Honda does try to start charging us, I would think we’d have a pretty good case for a class action lawsuit. (But I’m not a lawyer and don’t even play one in TV.)

10. Lonewarrior

Lonewarrior New Member

You can easily cheat the system by either stopping and restarting charging, or set up a charging schedule and reverse it right away. By doing you will receive the latest update of your Clarity.

insightman likes this.
  11. ZedFez

ZedFez Member

Can you be more specific?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ZedFez

ZedFez Member

Oh... update for the % charged. I was thinking you were talking about a service update to fix something. Yeah, now that I know how the system works... its all good.

14. Bas

Bas New Member

You can also use the 'Find My Car'. This will also update your status, albeit, this might take a couple of minutes before you see the refreshed info.