Honda kills the Clarity Electric vehicle as sales struggles

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Sam Johnson, Mar 9, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sam Johnson

Sam Johnson New Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. BeMurda

BeMurda Active Member

They didn't ever intend for it to sell well, haha. You couldn't even buy it!!

4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

This illustrates another element of Honda's total failure with marketing.
    The public has no idea that there were 3 versions (BEV, PHEV. FCEV), and all they see is that the "Clarity" was discontinued.
    I have had friends send me this article because they know I have a Clarity and think it has been discontinued.

5. porky

porky Member

Agree. I remember when they test-marketed the Clarity FC vehicle in SOCAL about 6-7 years ago. Until recently I did not know they used the Clarity brand name for their PHEV and until last week, did not know they had a BEV.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Outside of CA, the Clarity PHEV has essentially been cancelled. Doubt many potential buyers know about the Clarity PHEV, nor have been able to convince a Honda dealer to order one. I doubt many drivers in jacked up pickup trucks or SUV's around these parts can even tell my car apart from a Civic or Accord.

8. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I depends on where you live. One local Honda dealer has 10 on their lot, and the other has zero. Clearly the mindset of the dealership plays an important part.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  9. KClark

KClark Active Member

I've said this before on this forum. I consider myself a pretty well informed consumer, yet when I began my search for a new car I had no interest in the Clarity, even though I've owned several Hondas. I wasn't interested because, as far as I knew, the Clarity was a fuel cell vehicle and I had no interest in FCs. I was thinking about a slightly used Accord, maybe the hybrid. It was only during my search that I realized there was a plug in hybrid Clarity.

10. 14 were delivered to a dealer in Tacoma WA.
    Css28 has one on order through a dealer near Detroit.
    There are relatively few Clarity owners that are active on this forum in relation to the ~33K vehicles sold in the US. On this forum we have owners in: NY, NJ, MI, MA, AL, KY, WA, OR and probably a few more states.

The situation may not be as dire as you perceive.

For the record, I own a non-jacked up 3/4-ton pickup and a Clarity PHEV. Different vehicles for different needs. What’s the value in attempting to categorize owners of jacked-up pick ups as all the same any more than lumping all Clarity owners in the same group?

coutinpe likes this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Unfortunately, trying to fit people in boxes seems to be trendy nowadays. And even more unfortunately, like in the mythological tale, if you don't fit exactly in the box they try to stretch or cut you down in order to achieve it. :(

13. Timbomac

Timbomac New Member

You can IL to the list of states. I’m in Chicago, new to this forum. I have a Clarity PHEV Touring model. Sad that it’s not more popular. We compared other electric/gas hybrids like Prius and clarity was way better - cabin space, electric range, etc. this was 2018.