Honda CR-V hybrid beats VW iD4 in MotorTrend comparison test!

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Agzand, Apr 29, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I'm waiting and hoping for the PHEV CR-V. I'm looking for 50+ miles of EV range with all other specs as good as the Clarity. I'd even accept the Clarity faults to have a PHEV CR-V.

4. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

The CRV very narrowly "won" because it was AWD - in almost all other aspects they preferred the ID.4

The ID4 looks better looking and is more fun to drive, but its rear-drive layout is a potential detriment to those who live where it rains and snows. That fact, plus the CR-V's roomier back seat and upright cargo bay—and the fact that it delivers all-wheel drive for the price of the RWD VW—makes the Honda the winner in this comparison test, by the narrowest of margins. VW was able to create an electric SUV nearly as good as, and in many ways better than, one of the best gasoline-fueled SUVs on the market, which is an impressive feat. The ID4 has what it takes to go up against conventional SUVs, right out of the gate.
    They did not factor in operating and maintenance costs which would likely skew the results in favor of the ID.4

turtleturtle likes this.
  5. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

I do not necessarily agree with their conclusions, but the fact that Honda's several year old design was competitive with the latest VW platform with billions of dollars of investment says something. If this was RAV4-Prime instead of CR-V hybrid I think it would have been a lopsided win for Toyota.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Car Buzz says, "Honda says that the Sport Hybrid i-MMD system mimics the feel of an EV in most driving conditions while claiming a pure electric range of over 80 km (just under 50 miles)." Of course, this is the CR-V PHEV sold in China, so I doubt Honda is using the EPA's test suite to come up with the claim of over 50 miles of EV range. Not far from 50+ miles, but not EPA miles.

Has Honda not noticed the demand for the RAV4 Prime in the US? It was years ago that we saw spy photos of a plug-in hybrid Pilot test-prototype, but that never came to be.

JFon101231 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

I think it is too late for the current generation of CR-V. It will be updated in a year, so probably they will introduce the PHEV for the 2023 model year in a new body.

9. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

Toyota chose to use a 2.5 litre engine in the Rav4 PHEV, which puts out over 300 hp and is their fastest car after the Supra. On top of that, it has a 42 mile EV range and gets 38 mpg as a hybrid. The last 2 figures are not as high as the Clarity but it is an AWD SUV so that's impressive. Toyota is sold out of the Rav4 Prime for the year. If Honda also used a 2.5 litre engine, the Clarity would be a rocket, would not have lost too much range nor mpg, and would have sold like hotcakes. Instead, they chose to maximize range and mpg by using an underpowered 1.5 litre engine, and expensively with an almost all aluminum body and the best (but poor performing) green tires. As a consequence, Honda got impressive range and mpg numbers but lost out on building an awesome performing green car. The Clarity was designed more as a science experiment instead of a big seller.

insightman likes this.
  10. It is definitely a peculiar comparison. Essentially an ICE v EV. Ultimately, the Honda came out on top. Even if by one point, and even if some of the metrics were subjective.

I tend to agree that something in between, a PHEV such as the RAV4 Prime, would probably have walked away with the trophy.

11. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

What I like about the Honda hybrid system is that the engine is used as a generator to charge battery and run electric motor. This way majority of the time it drives more like a electric car.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

So, if they rerun the test this fall with the AWD ID.4, it will win?

14. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

I'd love a PHEV Ody...

15. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

Yes, I think it will win, but at close to $50k it should win. They should compare that to RAV4 Prime (similar power levels and closer pricing).