Honda clarity PHEV versus 2018 Accord hybrid

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Johnhaydev, May 28, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Johnhaydev

Johnhaydev Active Member

Trying to decide whether to purchase the clarity plug-in hybrid versus the 2018 Honda Accord hybrid. I like the idea of the plug-in hybrid. However I can see that the accord hybrid has newer technology in terms of the infotainment system as well as the driver assistance systems. I was curious if anyone else was also facing this quandary and what they decided to do.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. qtpie

qtpie Active Member

Both cars have the same Honda Sensing technology so all driver assistance features should be same. AFAIK, the infotainment system on the Accord has a physical volume button, while the Clarity doesn’t have one. I am curious to know what Accord features not found on the Clarity.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

ClarityDoc likes this.
  4. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

Accord not plugin, right? So it always uses gasoline.

5. Umm Yeah

Umm Yeah New Member

The Accord is prettier and has newer tech. But in my car, I drive less than 10 miles round trip each day for work so for me, the Clarity PHEV is basically a full time electric vehicle except when we take road trips. It will always be more economical than the Accord Hybrid, period. If you like the prettier looks if this year's Accord but want the economy of the Clarity PHEV, wait a year and I bet the Clarity will have it. If you need a new car now, do you prefer the shiny new tech which won't be shiny and new next year, or do you want top shelf economy in a midsize package? Your choice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Inside EVs mobile app

6. Mckersive

Mckersive New Member

It looks like accord does have some additional features like heads up display and one Honda sensing feature that the Clarity doesn’t have:

Accord Features include:

**Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS)*
    **Road Departure Mitigation System (RDM)*
    **Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow*
    **Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)*
    **Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR)*

Honda Sensing Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR) feature standard on 2018 Accord models only.

Traffic sign recognition sounds interesting.

Of course, the main difference between the two cars is that the Clarity is a plug in hybrid. If that feature is not the driver and you are planning to drive both cars as a hybrid, I would get the accord Hybrid. If you want to enjoy 95% electrical driving and rely on ICE for range extension the. Clarity is the way to go. There are about half a dozen features that the accord has that the Clarity doesn’t (moon roof, lumbar adjustment, parking sensors and the two I mentioned above) and you have to decide whether these override your desire to get a plug in car.

Kendalf and ClarityDoc like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. BRYANT HOLLINS

BRYANT HOLLINS New Member

Hello, this is my first post and want to say I am very pleased with the forum and knowledge shown here for such a new car like the Clarity Plug in hybrid.

To add to this thread - for me, one of the best benefits for purchasing the clarity was the intensive use of aluminum throughout in the outer shell and underneath the car. I keep my cars for a long time in New England weather. Next, I like the lane watch camera even though I am not fully bought into all of the technology cars are coming with these days. Also, even in hybrid mode, the clarity is more fuel efficient than the Accord hybrid.

This may or may not be important to some on this thread but the Clarity is one of the very few cars built in Japan. To me, build quality is important. If you are in the dealer, do a side by side comparison of these two cars. Open the trunk, look at the hinges, open the hood, look at the wiper design, look around inside the engine bay, and if you are bold, look underneath the cars. I am not an engineer but I could see a difference in build quality for sure.

They are both great cars and you will be extremely happy with either. Above are some of the items that got me in the clarity camp in addition to the all electric 47 miles. 17kwh battery vehicle's eligibility for $2,500 Mass incentive and $7,500 Federal tax credit. I have $0.00 buyers remorse. Good luck on your purchase.

Steve H Truong and Kendalf like this.
  9. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

The reason I bought the Clarity was the plug. We have already displaced 7000 gas miles with electric in 6 months (10,500 total miles). Even at 40 mpg that is 175 gallons of gas less than an Accord Hybrid. Our Clarity replaced a minivan so have already saved well over 400 gallons of gas.

The hybrid would make sense if you drive more than about 150 miles per charging opportunity, and it is also is a lot better than most gas cars. Some EV purists say all EV or you are a monster destroying the environment, but I think they miss the point. The goal is to dramatically reduce dependence on fuel, and more efficient vehicles will do that as well.

Honestly, we just use Android Auto so don't really care about infotainment. Blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic would be nice, but wasn't a deal breaker (accord might not have those either?). The main safety feature I wanted was adaptive cruise and the collision mitigation system is nice too.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    ClarityDoc and lorem101 like this.
  10. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Active Member

If it wasn't for the Federal tax credit and NY State rebate, I would get the Accord Hybrid. The 2018 Accord Hybrid has better gas only mileage and a bigger trunk. It also has some more up-to-date technology as pointed out by others and the moonroof option. There are more choices with the Accord. Since I get to charge for free at work, I plan on getting the Clarity.

I forgot to mention that the range on the Accord Hybrid is almost 3 times the Clarity on gas only. It will make a difference on long trips.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  11. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

That's a good point that's often missed by many pooh poohing PHEVs. Similarly equipped, the Clarity could cost you thousands less with the tax credit and any state incentives available (save even more if you live in Ontario, Canada). Even if they cost the same, I would have chosen the Clarity in my situation. I work from home and do a lot of short in-town errands each day, totaling about 50-60 miles. When I did that with my Outback, I got about 20 mpg daily. Also, gasoline in my area is higher than the national average while electricity is lower than the national average. It's a no brainer for us which car to choose.

Also, consider the all new 2019 Honda Insight that is already being mass produced. It's a beautiful car that's sporty, quick and gets (reportedly) 55 mpg. It'll be less expensive than the Accord and positioned between the Civic and Accord.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

I think one has to decide if using minimal gas is the main goal. Ours is which is why we did not consider any vehicle that was not pure EV or a PHEV. All other hybrids use gas. Period. We have driven about 1,800 miles in our Clarify PHEV and used maybe 3 gallons of gas. That is 600 mpg. I think that beats 47 mpg. Charging the Clarity costs us nothing since we have solar in our home and own our charger.

14. LAF

LAF Active Member

It should be pointed out with all those extras, the touring Honda Accord hybrid costs significantly more than the Clarity after rebates unless Honda is seriously discounting the former. (best price I saw with 32K from 36K no rebates available)

15. BRYANT HOLLINS

BRYANT HOLLINS New Member

Bobscubfan, I agree with you 100% about the 600mpg potential. I've done 800mpg once in the clarity as I charge for free at work and other locations. I also misquoted saying the clarity is more fuel efficient than the Accord hybrid in hybrid mode, 42 combined for clarity vs. 47 for Accord hybrid. However, my clarity regularly gets between 45 and 52 mph in hybrid and that is highway. Staying on topic though, one other advantage I give the clarity over the accord hybrid is parking. I always get a prime parking spot at most places as the charging stations are usually quite close to entrances lol. I am now plugged in at the 99 restuarant having a burger in a packed parking lot but I'm the only electric car lol. Cheers.

bobcubsfan likes this.
  16. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

Have not done enough highway driving to test HV mode. 99% of our "trips" are city driving with some freeway. All under 40 miles.

17. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

18. bevOrPhev

bevOrPhev New Member

Surprised nobody has mentioned it, but of you are in CA the Clarity gets the HOV sticker and the Accord does not. Of course with the new laws the sticker will only be valid for 3.5 years if you buy now - but still that sticker is worth its weight in gold. Means I can go 6 mph in the carpool lane, instead of 5 mph in the regular lane, and thumb my noses at people as I pass them at 1 mph ;-).

19. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

20. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Active Member

I'm just stating the facts. If you don't have the ability to charge, it doesn't make sense to buy the Clarity. I'm already sold on getting the Clarity because my company offers free charging. If I leave the company or change locations, I'm screwed because I don't have charging at home. I also get HOV privileges on Long Island whether I get the Accord Hybrid or Clarity. The HOV still makes a big difference. The program can be withdrawn at a later date if the average speed is reduced below 45mph.

21. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

It obviously takes longer, much longer, but the Clarity will charge in a 110 v socket. In some cities, like Los Angeles, there is a big rebate for installing a charger. But, not if you live in a apartment.
    To encourage residential customers to save gas and reduce the City of Los Angeles’ carbon footprint by driving electric, the LADWP offers a rebate of up to $500 to offset the purchase of a qualifying electric vehicle (EV) charger.

22. ManKo

ManKo Member

You may want to apply for the sticker anyways so you are grandfathered and have the ability to reapply for one of the new stickers in 2019.

From the DMV site:

23. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

But since March, only the Red Stickers are being issued.