Honda Clarity: No Wheel Covers

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Viking79, Mar 3, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

Sandroad, Domenick, Tony and 2 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Hobbesgsr

Hobbesgsr Active Member

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  4. ab13

ab13 Active Member

PHEV Newbie likes this.
  5. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

And I doubt that thieves would be interested in the OEM Energy Saver green tires either. Only the most dedicated hypermilers could love those and I doubt you'll find a single wheel thief among them. On top of that, given the rarity (best selling Honda Accord is usually #1 for parts) and (undeserved) perceived "ugliness" of the Clarity, there will be little interest from car thieves too. The benefits of owning one keep piling up!

glockgirl, Kendalf and VTSAX like this.
  6. bfd

bfd Active Member

True. When I bought new tires for my Plug-in Prius a few years ago, I did not even look at the "energy savers" out there. For me was all about tire performance (not necessarily speed, lofl) - and energy savers are really not very good in that respect. What they save in gas costs is easily eaten up by performance losses. I ended up dropping about 8% in MPGe after the tire change - and that was after a year (it was greater than that at first). So that was a somewhat significant 'feature'. Still, I suspect I won't be looking for energy savers when this car needs new tires (but at the rate I'm driving these days, those 30K miles might take a long, long time!)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bfd

bfd Active Member

It'll be interesting to see how the data comes out on this tire. Adds some choice to the decision if indeed the tire can do what Goodyear claims … Replacing these tires with good ones won't be cheap, either. I'm anxious to see it show up here: http://projects.propublica.org/tires/brands/goodyear

9. PHEV Newbie

I like the black colored plastic covers on the fuel cell version. They are exactly the same but the color. They look a lot better to me.

BTW, thanks for posting the photo. I was really curious myself.

alyssai likes this.
  10. aapitten

aapitten Active Member

Well that answers the question if I should remove the covers. Yuck... I do wonder how long those plastic pieces will hold up before just breaking off though. It is plastic afterall...

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. PHEV Newbie

I'm looking forward to when that happens so I have my excuse to buy those custom wheels I have my eye on ;)!

AlanSqB likes this.
  13. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

Plastic can hold up better than you suspect. Sun/UV does tend to be brutal on it, but I would give it at least 10 years barring any physical damage. The plastic will brittle with age and physical damage might get more likely to crack or break the plastic.

14. Ragman

Ragman New Member

The covers on my Clarity must have broken clips as they rattle over road imperfections. Very annoying with the windows down or when people look to see where the noise is coming from. I like the idea of making them my winter wheels. These are my current winter wheels.

Attached Files:

15. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

A November, 2017, snow-storm prompted me to have my dealer put winter tires on my OEM wheels before I first drove my new Clarity PHEV home. They've always been my winter wheels. When Spring arrived, I purchased a set of Clarity Accessory Wheels and put the OEM tires on them. They don't have the noise-reduction fins inside, but the road noise is less than with the OEM noise-reduction wheels with Nokian Hakkapeliitta winter tires.

When the wheels are off the car and you can see their backsides, it's easy to check the tabs that hold the plastic pieces onto those aluminum wheels.

16. Ragman

Ragman New Member

Winter tires installation is schedule for November 6. I can feel the tabs whit the wheel on the car and I can feel both of the prongs. They might have broken off the plastic cap though while still being tight on the wheel.

17. fullington99 and insightman like this.