HMG class action lawsuit

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, Jul 28, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Apparently the J1772 AC pins overheat causing a delay and reduction of the charge rate on some Ionic 5, 6, Genisis GV60 and Kia EV6 vehicles.
    https://www.carscoops.com/2023/07/ev-owners-launch-class-action-suit-against-hyundai-over-charging-plug-defect/
    Seems to be more inherent to charging @ the full 48A capacity (11.5 kW).
    Maybe a TSB is on the way ie: change the port to a more durable type rather than throttling the charge rate on the detection of over-heating.
    Wonder if the New Gen Kona will suffer the same issues? (There was some mention of charge port heater, but not in this format-hopefully).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

Well that's something. I wonder what the underlying cause is... are the connector pins improperly spec'd or not made properly? Seems like that should be a relatively easy (though perhaps not cheap) repair, unless the real problem is the wires or where the wires connect to the socket.

4. The Type 2 plug pins are the same diameter (I’m pretty sure) as the J1772. Some of our public AC chargers can output 63 amps per phase which unfortunately only the Renault Zoe could accept. I’ve never heard of issues pertaining to that application.