History repeats itself...

Discussion in 'General' started by miatadan, Jan 2, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

When I purchased my first used car, it was a 1982 Ford Mustang ( LX, 4 cyl , 5 speed manual )

When I purchased my first new Ford Mustang it was a 1992 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 auto hatchback from Cambrian Ford / Sudbury, sales person Randy Godden.

Since than owned 7 different Ford Mustangs from Cambrian Ford, sold by Randy Godden
    and now:

Will be ordering 2022 Mustang Mach-E , Select 100A pkg Grabber Blue from Cambrian Ford/ Sudbury , sales person once again Randy Godden.

One of the few Ford dealerships that always treated me well, given good service , and fair in pricing. Also not doing markup above MRSP like some of the American dealers do.

They purchased my 2019 VW Jetta from me last April when local VW dealership would not.

The Mach-E is $5000 more than what I originally wanted to spend but this will now be my 10th Mustang, I have purchased from Cambrian Ford but first electric Mustang

Ruled out VW ID4 as when have to purchase out of town and decided against Hyundai Ioniq 5 but was tempted due to the cool 1980's look

back in the past when taking Mustang out first day of spring - 1st song Mustang Sally, 2nd song On the Road Again

Come to think of it when first dealing with Randy at Cambrian Ford, neither of us had white hair like we do now. Btw Randy is one of the rare sales people who will be fair with you and do best to help you.

Dan

bwilson4web and Teslawannabe like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. For 90% of Sales people and car dealerships SERVICE means nothing. That's why your experience is so rare. Very sad!
    Most dealerships will miss out on free word of mouth advertising like yours.

4. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

Nice to hear that you have that honest dealer experience.

I have the same experience in North Bay with Stockfish Ford. I have my go to salesman that treats me well.

The service is great as well, I've had a few issues with the work performed and it was promptly taken care of by the service manager.

With all the news out there of dealers charging over MSRP I'm glad to have a place to count on.

5. I used to know car salesman in my business. And the joke was if the customer is happy, then the salesman is really happy. But if the customer is really happy, then the salesman is not. They make the most money from repeat customers, and don't really like the ones that push them on price. The best salespeople (who make the most money) are the ones that know people the best and how to manipulate them.

And yes, better to have a good relationship with your service manager than the sales manager. The latter really doesn't give a hoot once the sale is complete.

6. miatadan

Yesterday I went to Ford dealership re ordering Mach-E select 100A but there is no leasing program available. Because there is no EV rebate , financing at 72 months too expensive ( over $800 per month even with $7000 deposit )

Leaves me now with this choices:

2022 Toyota RAV 4 Prime SE AWD, qualifies for $5000 canadian ev rebate .
    Advantages: best reliability, performance 0-60 sec time under 6 sec,
    Disadvantages: driving characteristics, fwd biased awd system, crossover instead of sedan, phev not bev.

2022 VW ID4 Pro qualifies for canadian ev $5000 rebate.
    Advantages: driving characteristics, rwd & rwd drive biased awd system, bev
    Disdvantages: 0-60 sec time over 7 sec on base RWD, crossover instead of sedan

2022 BMW 330e rwd model, qualifies for $2500 canadian rebate
    Advantages: best driving characteristics, best styling exterior and interior, rwd drivetrain, 0-60 sec time under 6 sec, not a crossover
    Disadvantages: Phev instead of Bev, what is standard equipment on other brands become optional on BMW

2022 Ioniq 5 Essential or Preferred model, qualifies for $5000 ev rebate
    Advantages : driving characteristics, rwd and rwd biased AWD, styling reminds me of 80's retro but still futuristic like DeLorean, bev
    Disadvantages: 0-60 sec time performance poor on 125 kW electric motor + 58 kWh battery, questionable reliability considering Kona electric past issues, crossover instead of sedan

I have not considered range at all as it is not important to me. Driving characteristics based on fact of all vehicles I purchased were RWD sports cars with 0-60 sec time being less than 6 sec on 95% of vehicles. Worst vehicle for driving characteristic was 2019 VW Jetta Execline because of FWD and slower performance.

Dan

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

FWIW you can lease the RWD Tesla Model 3 for $5200 down and $679 per month.

If range isn't a concern, call Tesla and you should be able to lease the low range Canadia only Model 3 for even less.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  9. Have you considered a Polestar 2. They can be leased for under $500/month, with less than $5000 down. Good driving and handling. 0-60 mph in 4.5 s

gooki and Clamps like this.
  10. I think he already tried to get the low range Tesla M3, but couldn't afford that one either.

Dan, if you really want an EV that doesn't have a lot of range, and that you can afford, maybe you should consider buying used. Then bank the savings for a future purchase on a new one. Here is one that was sold by Chevy (Korean manufactured) and can be had pretty cheap these days. And it has more power than you will know what to do with!! That is, 400 lb ft of instant take-off torque,... a lot for such a small car.

And in case you didn't know, our esteemed forum administrator, Domenick has one.
    https://insideevs.com/features/370930/what-do-i-drive-chevrolet-spark-ev/

John Lumsden likes this.
  11. If you can hold out a little longer, Hyundai Ionic 3 is on the horizon, CATL LFP battery pack reduces the cost. See this video start at about 5:23;)

Clamps likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. miatadan

I could afford the low range Tesla M3 low range as I did order it , they discontinued it when the newer version of the M3 no longer qualified when the price was raised above $55,000 now $59,990.
    Financing was approved at 2.4% interest rate and payment was $594 for 72 months after my deposit. Credit check done and preapproved loan.

Model 3 SR. $44,999.00
    Red Multi-coat. $2600.00
    Delivery Final Inspection Fee. $1280.00
    Car Price. $48.879.00

Additional charges : Air tax,OMVIC, License fee, PPSA. $289.46
    Sales tax $6368.57
    Total $55,537.03

Also total price for 2022 BMW 330e. total amount before sales tax. $48,244.70

Toyota RAV 4 prime SE AWD total amount before sales tax $47513.87

Ioniq 5 rwd preferred, before sales tax $49,151.00
    rwd essential , before sales tax $46,951.00

VW ID4 Pro, rwd, before sales tax $49,384.00

All alternatives to the Tesla Model 3 low range, similar pricing before rebates

Mach-E Select 100A package was $53,470 before sales not but no EV rebate

14. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

The thing that hurts people going with EV's is the finance terms and interest rates.

ICE vehicles get 7 or even 8 year financing with some getting down to 0%. The mach-e in Canada has a max of 6 years and 3.99% interest.

I wouldn't mind taking out a 7 or 8 year finance term on the Mach-e since it has the advantage of EV's with lower maintenance. I wouldn't want to be making payments at 7 or 8 years on an ICE when maintenance costs start adding up.

I have 18 months to continue to save for a down payment. I might not be able to make it and be in your situation. My backup plan is the Escape PHEV. It's certainly a compromise.

miatadan likes this.
  15. miatadan

When I combine 6 years at 3.99% interest + no EV rebate with $7000 deposit, payment was $820 per month. For me max payment, I am comfortable with up to $700 per month.

16. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

My monthly budget is the same as yours. What might help me is if I can get the dealer to buy out my lease and throw in the balance as a trade value.

17. The days of cheap financing is coming to an end. Interest rates are going up this year. US fed is projecting to raise 3 times and stop the money printing. Plus inflation will continue to drive car prices higher. Best option and bang for your buck, if you are on a tight budget, is get a used EV, as I have mentioned above. You will never get ahead of the game if you keep borrowing and spending to your limit. When interest rates are high, cash is king.

18. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Also with shortage of new cars due to supply chain issues there is no incentive to offer low financing. Car companies can't make cars fast enough to meet demand.

R P likes this.