History of the MINI Logo

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Puppethead, Oct 1, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Not SE-specific, but there's a neat article on the evolution of the Mini Logo, going all the way back to the original Morris Mini logo.

Apparently the wings stand for "swiftness, strength, and freedom", which the car definitely embodies.

azausa and h-dogg like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

----- THE MINI LOGO AND THE HOOD SCOOP -----

Another TL: DR saga of @insightman's distain for the MINI Cooper SE's skeuomorphic fake hood scoop (which is also fake on the ICE MINI Cooper S):

In 2019, after MINI and BMW executives ignored my offer to pay $1,500 extra for the factory put the less-expensive scoopless base MINI hood on my SE, I had to order my own base MINI hood through my dealer. To my consternation, the hood they shipped to my dealer (which went out of business days later) was for a pre-2018 MINI, but I didn't realize there was a difference when I received the hood. When I took it out of the box, it looked like a primered MINI F56 hood.

The only difference between a pre-2018 MINI F56 hood and a 2018-2023 F56 hood is the location and size of the logo-plate mounting holes! The location of the logo-plate is the same on both hoods! Why would MINI want to stock four different F56 hoods (a different hood with and without hood scoop for each of the 2 logo-plates)?

The bean-counters must have been out to lunch when the logo-plate designer submitted the 2018 version and didn't bother to make it fit the previous logo-plate's mounting holes. Did anyone ask, "Should we continue using the current logo-plate mounting pegs or start making and stocking two different hoods for each logo-plate?"

Fortunately, the excellent body shop that painted and mounted my scoopless hood was able to grind off the logo-plate mounting pegs and then use adhesive (like the pegless MINI-E logo plate on the hatch does) to affix the logo-plate that came with my SE to the pre-2018 base MINI hood MINI sold me, knowing it was for my imminent 2021 SE.

This rant continues unabated despite losing any connection to the thread's focus on the MINI logo:

For more than a decade I had been oogling MINI's MINI Electric prototypes, concept sketches, and concept car. None of those images included an ICE-inspired hood scoop. Then, on July 19, 2019, MINI unveiled the actual production version of the MINI Cooper SE. To my chagrin, it had sprouted a hood scoop! I started writing letters to BMW in Germany, MINI in Britain, and MINI USA.

What if the MINI Cooper SE didn't include a hood scoop? Would the people who swap out their SE grilles for ICE-MINI grilles also swap their hoods to ADD the ICE-MINI's fake hood scoop? I expect someone would create a hood-scoop decal or a stick-on 3-D fake, fake hood scoop that would be a lot less expensive than a replacement hood.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    SameGuy likes this.