High Mileage Driver - Will the battery last long enough to recoup the initial Cost of a Bolt?

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by Ryan Lum, Sep 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ryan Lum

Ryan Lum New Member

I drive roughly 100 miles/day for work, so I put on about 22k-23k miles a year. I spend roughly $5k/year on gas and I’m ready to not do that anymore. The bolt seems to fit for what I need in terms of battery range, power and size. Thinking about price point, with government subsidies I think I might be able to get a used one for a shade under $25k (this is CAD). What I fear though is that in the time it takes to recoup initial cost (I would assume about 6 years considering the cost difference between charging vs paying for gas is roughly $4k/year), the batteries would be pooched (remember this is assuming I’m buying a used vehicle so who knows how much wear is already on them) and the 100k mile battery warranty (if it still applies to a used vehicle I don’t know) would already be spent.

So what do you think? Will the batteries last well enough beyond the time it takes to recoup cost (roughly 6 years) that it would make a purchase worth it?

P.s I will also have to install a dedicated line and meter at home for the charger, which I assume will be around $2k but have yet to get a quote. So that brings the cost recoup timeline closer to 7 years

Bates Terry likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

Are there subsidies for used cars?

I would say yes, with modern battery management, the current batteries should last past 150k miles, and in 6 years or so, there will most likely be new technology battery systems out that will be more attractive than the currrent ones

rgmichel likes this.
  4. Mark Richards

Mark Richards Member

I think you'll see 200,000 miles out the battery on average....and you will be getting a brand new battery in the next couple years for free

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

rgmichel and Spoonman. like this.
  5. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

My Bolt has been such low maintenance and low running costs that I don't even think about recouping the cost. Its far less expensive to run than a gasoline car, especially if you have solar on the roof, but even paying full electricity rates its still inexpensive to run.

6. Ryan Lum

Ryan Lum New Member

Y

Yep they’re offering $4000 subsidy for used ev’s under 4 years old and that are coming in from out of the province. Also have to be sold by a dealer

Spoonman. likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Ryan Lum

Ryan Lum New Member

sorry I should say this is in Quebec

9. Ryan Lum

Ryan Lum New Member

I haven’t even looked into solar charging but I should. But Residential rates here are super cheap, like 6 cents a kWh for the first 40kwh of daily use, but it jumps to 9.5 cents for anything over that.

10. James Corrigan

James Corrigan New Member

I thought that electric rates in Quebec ( Residential - Hydro-Quebec ) were even cheaper than that.
    That is still about a third of what I pay here in suburban Philadelphia, PA. BUT, I am going to inquire into the Tim of Use charging - cheap juice between Midnight and 6:00 AM.
    I guess that is why people in Quebec use electric heating - quite rare here.

11. Ryan Lum

Ryan Lum New Member

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Make certain the battery management software has been updated.

https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/bolt-recall

Verify function of the seat heater and (if installed) steering wheel heater. Status of the transferrable warranty would also be good to know before purchase.

Tire choice will make a difference. The Nokia WRG2 is a competent all Weather tire for high mileage drivers.

14. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Wow, with that low of an electricity rate, it seems like it would pay off for you quickly! Did you also put in your calculations not having to pay for oil changes and brakes as well? However, being in Canada, don't forget to account for the fact that the Bolt might give you 30% less range in the winter months. I know this thread is older, interested to know if the OP actually bought a Bolt.