Help me choose a 3rd EV

Discussion in 'General' started by Dcpmark, Feb 2, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dcpmark

Dcpmark New Member

Hi! I already have an 2021 Audi ETron and a 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV that the kid is driving, and I’m looking for a third cheap used EV as a spare car. I initially made a large list that included the i3, Soul EV, Leaf, Fiat, but after driving them all I’ve narrowed it down to a 2017 Mercedes b250e and, because I like the Bolt EUV so much, a 2017-2018 Bolt EV Premier. Both have pros and cons. I don’t care that the Merc only has an 87-mile range, as it will only be used around town so the extra range of the Bolt is not meaningful to me. Obviously, the interior and the ride quality of the Merc is way better than the Bolt, but the Merc will be more difficult and costly to repair as time goes on due to the fact that it was a limited specialty vehicle. I don’t even think that all Mercedes-Benz dealers can service a b250e, even here in Southern California. The Bolt would be much easier to maintain, and I actually like the exterior look of the Bolts more than the boring Mercedes. Lastly, Mercedes can be had for a few thousand dollars less than the Bolt EV….here in SoCal used EV prices are still inflated.

TIA…..all thoughts welcome!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If you're not a range-aholic, check out InsideEVs' MINI Electric forum. We love our MINIs! They're so much fun to drive BECAUSE they don't have heavy, 250-mile batteries. Based on the i3's powertrain, the sportier MINI is easier to maintain because so many parts are shared with the admittedly long-in-the-tooth gas-powered F56.

Dcpmark likes this.
  4. Dcpmark

Dcpmark New Member

I love the Mini EVs! But I’m keeping my budget to $15,000 and the used 2020 Minis here in Southern California are well over $20,000. So, the two best for me in my price range are the 2017 Mercedes b250e and the 2017-18 Bolt EV Premier.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Well, it sounds like you know what you're missing. Some (me) on the MINI EV forum are wondering if the used prices will actually rise due to the MINI EV's replacement being denied to North America for the next couple of years.

6. DavidM1964

DavidM1964 New Member

I like that you are asking this question, however there are many individuals who are looking to get into there first EV and don’t have the luxury of having a spare. I am one of those individuals who would like to jump into the EV pool, however all the used EVs in Canada are still very pricey and anything that is priced at or below its true value are scooped up so quickly and to think that they will only be sitting in someone’s garage as a “spare” gets a little under my skin…just saying. Good luck with your search for your third EV.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I have two EV:
    • 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Mode Plus - with over 124,000 miles and now on self-maintenance. The battery is down ~10% so it shows 216 mi range versus original, 240 mi. The Nashville Service Center told me 'battery replacement cost $15,000' when I was pickup up parts. I'll take it to a car wash shortly in preparation for a trip to Stillwater OK.
    • 2017 BMW i3-REx - paid $15,000 in Florida August 2023, it had about 55,000 miles and now has approaching 64,000 mi. I use it around town to minimize degradation of the Tesla battery, running local errands, and fetching parts as needed. For example, this morning I had breakfast at iHOP, visited three cell service stores getting quotes, and had lunch.
    My two EVs work for my life. They seldom go more than a week without rubber to road. The Tesla handles longer trips with Autopilot and Full Self Driving. The BMW handles errands around town. FYI, no garage.

Bob Wilson

9. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Have you considered a Hyundai Ioniq Electric? One of my kids moved recently. We had a Honda Clarity, Hyundai Inoniq Electric, and 2017 Chevy Bolt Premier. One had to go. It was unanimous that the Bolt was the one to go, and it was not close. The Ioniq Electric is a more enjoyable car than the Bolt in every way except range. The Bolt's ride quality is much harsher than the longer wheel base EUV. Ioniq Electric is also soooo efficient, cheapest cost of ownership there is. You should be able to find some for similar prices to the Bolt.