HELP! Don't know how to press Hyundai!

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Een2102, Jul 22, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Een2102

Een2102 New Member

I will write in telegraphic style to not extend this post into a novel.

So I bought my 2019 Kona Electric used (500 miles) in the US and took it with me overseas to Central America. Car has been great with no glitches....until recall 200 came along.

I contacted Hyundai corporate, let them know I had the vehicle in Central America and asked how they would like to proceed with the recall (battery swap, buy back, exchange with repaired vehicle, etc.) I was expecting them to say that the vehicle had to be in the US but they did not require that. I was requested a series of paperwork through their call center, which I happily supplied except for a work order (WO) from the local dealer. Local dealer does not have electric vehicles in their lineup so declined to give the WO. Furthermore, I expressed to Hyundai corporate I had not bought the vehicle with the local dealer, so I was not sure if they would honor a recall and/or warranty. The dealer also claims they got a message from Hyundai corporate saying not to attend me, given that I was being taken care of directly by corporate.

I wrote to the local dealer owner, who happens to be an acquaintance of mine about the situation and how to proceed so not to put the dealer in a bad position. Unfortunately, he took it as a threat (which certainly was not) and claimed the local dealership had no responsibility on vehicles that had not been sold by them. My reply was that it was not a threat, just asking for advice on how to proceed with the recall without affecting his dealership given that it was Hyundai corporate's orders to take the vehicle to him. That I was OK not going through his dealership as long as Hyundai corporate so instructed.

So here I am. Still with a "bad" battery, charging to 80% and no clear path from Hyundai. If push comes to shove, I would not mind sending the vehicle to the US to get the battery swap as long as everything is lined up to carry out the procedure without an eternal wait.

My question is how can press Hyundai? At first I was very understanding of the problem, but now I am starting to get frustrated. Any ideas?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Why not just wait until your car is called up by the US importer to complete the recall and deal with it then, much like everybody else in the world is doing?

It seems all the problems you've described are due to your own actions.

hieronymous likes this.
  4. Een2102

Een2102 New Member

Thanks for the reply.

As far as I am concerned I followed Hyundai procedures: 1. I went to the VIN input Hyundai webpage to verify if recall 200 applied to my car. 2. I reported to Hyundai I had an affected vehicle in another market to see how it would be more appropriate to proceed. 3. I waited to Hyundai to reach me and followed their instructions that led me to the dilema described in the first post.

If the problem is getting a Hyundai EV and moving it with me to my place of work, then yes, the problems are due to my own actions.