Heated Steering Wheel

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by AlanSqB, Apr 4, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Active Member

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/08U97-TLA-110.html

I’ve heard that the Clarity is a bit of a “Frankencar” and has the steering wheel from a CR-V. I found this and I’m wondering if it’s feasible as an option but $312 is a bit much to spend on an experiment. Since it’s a simple switch on the wheel itself for the heat and it just needs a 12v tap, it seems like it could work.

Any thoughts? Looks like a few hours work.

kkiran and Hobbesgsr like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Active Member

Just took a quick look and the fuse panel seems to have the same connection point as described in the instructions.

Hobbesgsr likes this.
  4. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Active Member

Ok. I’m talking myself into this :)

Proposed testing steps:
    1. Check fuse panel for connector (done) and access to 12v when fused as described.
    2. Confirm that non-heated steering wheel is in fact same for CR-V and Clarity via part number search for both vehicles.
    3. Order CR-V heated wheel.
    4. Test connect new wheel by connecting heater harness to fuse panel before full install. Confirm heat.
    5. Complete install as described.
    Might be fun to have the only Clarity around with a heated wheel!

Ceetee and Hobbesgsr like this.
  5. loomis2

loomis2 Well-Known Member

If you do this I want full details. If it is easy to do I could be the second Clarity with a heated steering wheel.

Hobbesgsr likes this.
  6. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Loomis2, I’ll race you for second. This would be a great improvement for me (poor circulation).
    Glory, honors, medals, champagne, and a ticker tape parade for AlanSqB if he paves the way for this!
    Two comments:
    -do you have a link to the installation instructions?
    -I have a friend who is a Honda mechanic and is now in the parts dept. I can relay any questions that come up to him if that would help. I go to church with his parents and I’m sure he would help. I’ll probably use him for installation if this pans out.

Hobbesgsr likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Hobbesgsr

Hobbesgsr Active Member

This would also be a double upgrade for non Touring model folks to get a heated leather steering wheel.

For the price I bet the you have to reuse your airbag module.

Also, does this mean the brake regen paddles are not part of the steering wheel?

9. JimW

JimW Active Member

WARNING - you have an airbag in there. I would not touch removing a steering wheel with airbag - job for the pros IMHO.

10. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Active Member

Very detailed instructions on the link.

There are paddles on the wheel in the picture. I think the CR-V uses them for shifting.

11. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Active Member

Sure. We can add the disclaimer:

NOBODY SHOULD EVER DO THIS. EVER.

Now, back to the thread ;-).

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KentuckyKen

Sorry. I got so excited that I missed the link at the top.

14. loomis2

loomis2 Well-Known Member

Just saw the instructions in the link. I stopped at about Step 4. Someone else is doing this for me if I get it done.

15. KentuckyKen

Just had my friend at dealer parts dept. look up Clarity and Civic steering wheels and they are not the same part number. Many of the sub assemblies are though like the 2 switch panels. Doesn’t mean that this won’t work; just means it doesn’t look like it’s a 100% sure thing yet.
    I would guess (wildly) that if the gear paddles can be plugged up to the Clarity regen connection as in using the same rotating connection on base of steering column, and the rotating heat supply connection is present in the Clarity steering wheel base, then it might work.
    I’m waiting on the fearless, intrepid, and dauntless AlanSqB to try this first. Only then will I be willing to pony up and try it. Yes, I’m somewhat of a coward when it comes to money.
    Lead us into the promised land Alan!

16. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Active Member

Not Civic, but CR-V. The Civic has a smaller wheel if I’m not mistaken.

17. KentuckyKen

My bad. I’ll double check to see that my friend looked up the CR-V. Good news is that many of the subsystems for the steering wheel are common across several platforms

18. aapitten

aapitten Active Member

Any updates/progress on this? I'm very interested...

19. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Active Member

This had to go to the back burner (or warmer if you will) as I’m now preparing for a move to the PNW and conducting a job search. Hoping to get a place with a nice garage/shop for some tinkering.

20. KentuckyKen

We’re all rooting for you, AlanSqB!

21. Just bumping this in case there might be an update.

22. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

The accord also has a heated wheel option but it does not appear to be the same wheel part number wise... We need to get honda corp to give us an answer and get a bunch of us that do want this to call and bug them

23. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Here is a dealer site with a great search tool for part numbers:

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

I don't see any relationship between the Clarity and CR-V steering parts, but in the exploded diagrams I do note the extraordinary complexity of the "steering wheel" which has a LOT of parts. I'm not usually the proverbial "wet blanket", but besides the obvious safety (airbag), electrical (connection), and fitment issues, I'll bet messing around with the steering that much would void some aspects of warranty and could lead to some additional liability in the event of a crash.

Maybe just a big box of hand warmers and a nice pair of driving gloves from Amazon would suffice ;)

lorem101, Domenick and Hi.Ho.Silver like this.