Heat Pumps

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Clamps, Jun 23, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Can a heat pump for the Kona be purchased in Canada and installed in a US model? I understand that this may be a naive question but just curious as I live in the northeast and would like to know if this is possible.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Short answer is no.

Clamps likes this.
  4. That's the long answer as well :)

Clamps likes this.
  5. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I wonder if the heat-pump system uses the same compressor. It almost
    certainly could, the real difference is surrounding plumbing and control
    algorithms.

_H*

6. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

That's the thing I don't quite get - they couldn't be saving all that much money by giving us AC only. And in more moderate climates the heat pump can be quite effective. So why did they do that?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I expect it's the same compressor as it wouldn't really know or care how it's plumbed. As for cost, I think there are a few pricey parts including both a condenser and evaporator in the HVAC air path, as it needs both to dehumidify. It has also been mentioned by others that the PTC heater may remain as a low-temp backup, so that savings may not be there. I can't confirm that but do note that the power cable is present (orange cable in the photo).

Kona HVAC.jpeg Kona_HVAC_closeup.jpeg

9. Weird system, but it sure works great; saves a pile of energy as well as doing the job (cooling or heating) quietly .
    My only complaint is having to push the A/C button off (I use auto) when start heating (unless its super humid out), but I am used to that now.

10. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I suppose one way to know for sure is look up the part numbers and see whether there are a different ones for the heat pump option. Navigating the parts stores is challenging, but I see this part 97205-K4000, which is discontinued, and is described as "With electric motor, without inner condenser". You can get part 97205-K4010, which is described as "With electric motor, with inner condenser.". These things aren't cheap, either. But it sort of seems like this might be the difference.

Sort of the same thing with the battery warmer - Hobbit had some pictures suggesting that the control circuit is in the battery pack itself, and that got me wondering if there was a different part number for the battery packs with and without the control circuits for the warmer.

I expect the PTC heater must always be there - our Canadian cousins can get temperatures cold enough that it would be pointless to try and use the heat pump. The irony is that with our temperatures, they could do away with the PTC heater altogether and replace it with the heat pump, and they went the opposite direction.

KiwiME likes this.