Heat Problem?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Boston Charger, Nov 17, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Boston Charger

Boston Charger New Member

Living in Boston just starting getting into EV heating situations. With the "Auto" button off, both "AC" and "Heat" buttons come on when first entering the vehicle in the morning, needing heat. Why would both come on? Logically, isn't it one or the other?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Not necessarily. You can cool down the air first to remove moisture, then heat it up again to be warm. But of course it's a huge energy waste.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Boston Charger likes this.
  4. nigels

nigels Active Member

It sounds like the heating system is trying to defog the cabin. I haven’t seen both modes enabled at the same time yet.

Hi from Boston! I’ve only ever seen one other Kona Electric in the area.

Boston Charger likes this.
  5. Boston Charger

Boston Charger New Member

Hello! I've only seen one other myself. Lots of other electric/hybrid vehicles though.

nigels likes this.
  6. EnerG

EnerG Active Member

I posted previously on this exact same bug. It is a pet peeve of mine that "manual mode" decides what you want in an "auto mode" fashion.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Does the car have some sort of humidity sensor that causes it to turn this on by default? Or was it measuring fogging somewhere?

In my drive this morning (mid/high 30's), I never saw the AC light come on.

9. Only seen heat come on randomly on startup without being specifically requested. The HVAC does have its quirks. In Auto mode I would expect both AC and heat to be engaged, however, for drying as mentioned.

10. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

P. 3-131 in the US manual, which also details a magic way to reset the "defogging logic".

11. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

I suggest we all unite to coerce Hyundai to replace our lousy heaters with heat pumps.

nigels likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Exactly. In my old (circa 1977) Honda Civic, I sometimes had to run the A/C for several seconds in winter, to defog the windows, even when running the cabin heater. Maybe your car is "smart" enough to detect the level of humidity in the cabin?

14. Ace's Mom

Ace's Mom New Member

Hi. I'm new to both this forum and to my Kona EV. I've noticed that when you turn on the heat, it comes out cold until the heater warms it up. Is there any way to not have cold air coming in when it's in the 30s outside?

15. The best you can do is press the "off" button which turns the fan off. You could try recirc as well but the windows might fog up.

16. Ace's Mom

Ace's Mom New Member

I thought the OFF button also turns the heat off :-(

17. You can preheat the Kona using bluelink app before you get in that might help.

18. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

Other than turning the fan to the lowest setting? The air begins to heat immediately, so at least it will be a degree or two warmer from the start. Closing vents would be counterproductive.