Headlights too bright (oncoming traffic is blinded!)

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Soona, Oct 14, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Soona

Soona Member

I have a 2019 eKona and the headlights are so bright, when I drive on the highway at night oncoming cars and trucks are constantly flashing their high beams at me thinking mine are on, and they are blinded.

I really want to fix this - does anyone know if they can be simply lowered downward more? Or other option (I'd hesitate the replace them with dimmer lights even if possible).

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Have you adjusted the beam with the small knob by the driver's knee? This is useful for compensating for a load in the back.

They can also be adjusted under the hood if they are out of spec.

Using dimmer lights is not really an option. You won't have the light you need and they'll still be out of spec, probably illegal.

Ginginova and Coolcarbon like this.
  4. Ginginova

Ginginova Active Member

Yeah, headlights are not self-adjusting, you need to use the knob. Especially when not being alone in the car or having some cargo.
    Had the same problem then I used the knob to lower the beams when driving loaded. :)

5. Soona

Soona Member

I just checked (and have checked the manual) and don't see a knob by the driver's knee or anything else like that. It's a 2019 . . .

electriceddy likes this.
  6. That feature is only European versions.
    The remedy is an easy fix, shown here in this video thanks to @Esprit1st (start at 2:09)
    ;)

navguy12 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Canadian models definitely do not have a knob. It's a manual adjustment under the hood.

navguy12 likes this.
  9. Soona

Soona Member

Wow - thanks for that video! I didn't see it in the manual and I had looked under the hood but didn't recognize those screws for what they are. So it's super simple although I'll need to wait til dark to see how much it worked. Thanks again!

navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  10. Ginginova

Ginginova Active Member

I suspected, that if the knob is missing then it should have self adjusting system. But that one probably also needs base adjustment done correctly.
    Base adjustment using the screws is the same on European models. Plus of course the knob for manual adjustment according to load in the car.

11. When I got my 2020, they were notorious for being delivered with the headlights too high and it was general knowledge on the forum to check the adjustment. My 2021 was fine though.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mine were high, too, and got them adjusted by the dealer. No more flashing at me after that.

14. Stevewallace

Stevewallace New Member

I used to have that problem as the lights are LED. The simple solution? Set you lights to auto. They will automatically dim as a vehicle approaches. The EV senses the approaching traffic and automatically dims the lights. Then the oncoming traffic sees the lights being dimmed and they have never flashed me since I use this feature.

15. Canadian cars have to be adjusted as shown in the video. On the topic of headlights, though, mine have had an annoying hole in the middle of the upper cutoff line for the low beams on each side. My Kona is the only car I've experienced like this, and I've had a few. My son is an optical engineer who once designed head and tail lights for an automotive lighting manufacturer. His take on my low beams is that they are badly designed and/or made.

16. Mine were high, too, and I got flashed by every 2nd car on a 2 lane highway at nght until I used the adjustment screws to lower the aim.
    All good now.