Headlights effect on range?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by fasttr, Nov 1, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. fasttr

fasttr Member

Has anyone ever tested the effects of headlights on overall range? I drove an hour yesterday morning in the dark and it definitely seemed like it had a measurable impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DisgruntledSanta

DisgruntledSanta Active Member

I believe LED headlights have around a 20-30W of power draw each which is pretty minimal. I wouldn’t expect to that to have any appreciable impact on range.

Air is considerably cooler at night, ie more dense, so I would expect this to have a larger impact than the headlights being on.
    But, I haven’t done any testing on this. Has anyone else done testing on this?

GvilleGuy likes this.
  4. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Headlights should be powered by the 12V accessory battery, not the high-voltage battery used to power the drivetrain.

I agree that increased density of the cooler night air is more likely to have an impact.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  5. fasttr

fasttr Member

But the high voltage system is used to keep the 12V system charged, correct?

6. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

Concur on the LEDs using under 50W of 12V power) that is eventually fed by the traction battery.

If the whole car is otherwise getting 4 miles per kWh, using the lights would mean it is now getting 3.8 miles per kWh (<= 5% reduction), by my SWAG.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. fasttr

fasttr Member

That’s almost exactly what I saw. 3.8M/kWh with the lights on, around 4.1M/kWh on the way back (20 deg F warmer on the way back also).

F14Scott likes this.
  9. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Yes but how long will it take the 12 V battery to drain? Does the SE do continuous recharge (like an alternator does when an ICE car is running), or does it recharge the 12 V battery when the SE is recharging? It seems to me the sensible approach would be to recharge the 12 V battery when the SE is plugged in, but could the car know if the 12 V battery is low and do a charge while driving?

10. F14Scott

Educated guess, based on two factors:
    1. Car batteries don't like to be deep cycled.
    2. Tesla does it this way.
    I'm thinking the traction battery is always topping off the 12V, or at least does not let it get very much below full before it feeds a DC to DC converter to charge the little battery.

11. Puppethead

The SE (all MINIs) use AGM batteries, which actually do tolerate deep cycling. But that has no bearing on how the SE actually does things. Anyone know how the i3 works?

As I mentioned in another thread, I've got a mysterious occasional 12 V battery drain that happens when my SE is parked and not plugged in. It never affects anything, but I guess it means the SE does know the charge state of the 12 V battery. And I don't know if it's getting "topped off" while my car sits.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

They won’t have a measurable impact. If you’re getting 4mi/kWh and going 60mph, you’re burning 15kW. At <30W total, headlights are 0.2% of your power consumption. So you’d get 3.99mi/kWh

GvilleGuy, MichaelC and F14Scott like this.
  14. F14Scott

Dammit. That math is right. I don't know WTH I was doing.

15. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

I don't know if I agree with the <30W total.

Aftermarket LED retrofits can be 60W each side. Plus the fuse for the headlights is either 40A or 20A (can't tell which from the fuse diagram) and fuses are typically 1.1x to 1.5x the load which would be 14A (or 168W). Assuming that 20A fuse is for both, that would be ~84W each which seems reasonable to me considering how bright they are.

16. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Ok, you made me curious. I just measured the battery draw in mi3. With low beams on and no climate control, the power being consumed ranged from 0.3-0.31kW. With them turned off, it was 0.27-0.28kW.

Puppethead, MichaelC and GvilleGuy like this.
  17. Carsten Haase

I'm guessing that's only measuring the HV battery though so that would be the DC/DC power usage, not necessarily the headlight power usage (if the 12V battery is contributing some).

I looked at the headlights themselves and found this marked on the back and on the side:
    • DRL 18W: Daytime running lights. 18W is surprisingly high but I guess they are pretty bright, just unfocused.
    • TI 24W: I don't know what TI stands for but this is the headlight power for each side. Less than I expected (the fuse may have other lights on it) but still more than 30W combined.
    • PL 2W: Probably stands for parking light aka the bad weather/cornering lights
    20211102_075058.jpg

I also just want to note that with projector style headlights, there is no separate low beam and high beam. The LEDs are using the same amount of power all the time and there is a little "cutoff shield" that moves to block part of the beam: how-projector-headlights-work-1024x844.png

To the original point of this thread, headlight use is still negligible regardless of what the actual power consumption is. With the values above, using the headlights and DRLs and cornering lights for an hour would use an additional 0.088kWh or 0.3% of your battery.

Newkirk, insightman and MichaelC like this.
  18. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

It doesn’t seem that our headlights use that shutter mechanism. The power draw goes up by another 40-50W when high beams are turned on, indicating that they’re separate diodes. And the high beams are noticeably brighter and a different color temperature.

I feel pretty confident that the power draw in mi3 corresponds to the full power being used by the car, because it seems unlikely that just turning on the low beams is enough to max out the DC/DC and start draining the 12V battery.

19. Carsten Haase

I agree the DC/DC wasn't maxed out but my thought was that if the 12V battery was full, it would be at approximately the same voltage as the DC/DC so they would be acting as parallel power sources and current would be supplied by both. My electrical circuit knowledge is rather basic though so I could be wrong.

The sharp stepped beam cutoff is a signature of the cutoff shield (the shield itself is stepped). It would be very difficult if not impossible to get that beam shape from just optics. It's entirely possible though that more LEDs turn on when the shield flips down which could explain the higher power use.
    projectors-10.gif.pagespeed.ce.q8RQvEahkR.gif

20. Puppethead

The bump in the top of that shield explains the pattern I see on a wall! It was driving me crazy that it's left-right asymmetric, but at least now I know why. I'll have to post a photo of the pattern to show what I mean.

21. Newkirk

Newkirk Active Member

I noticed that same thing a while ago and took a picture so I could ask on this forum. Now I know!
    IMG_2416.JPG

polyphonic and GvilleGuy like this.
  22. Greencarguy

Greencarguy New Member

Than
    Thanks for posting this. I noticed when I switched from low to high beam I could almost see a shadow where the low beams are separate from the high beams.

23. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Holy crap! I've wondered about the uneven shadow. Thanks! Why does it need that uneven shape??

EDIT: And this now explains why, when you turn on high beams, the 'extra' light is appearing directly above the existing low beams rather than flooding the low beam area with more light.