HDA Only on Interstates?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Gary Morrison, Apr 23, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Gary Morrison

Gary Morrison New Member

According to , at time 10:55, HDA2 on the Ioniq 5 is only available (in the US) on Interstate highways? True?

Actually, I should probably be more specific: HDA2 is good of course, but what I’m mostly interested in is the lane-centering feature (and adaptive cruise control of course). I presume that’s not geographically restricted, right?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Crash

Crash Member

I do not think it is geographically restricted. Will try it in a few minutes when I go out.

Gary Morrison likes this.
  4. I don't know why they specifically say interstate, its a optical/radar/sonar based system that will work on any road that has clear road markings. It's not a GPS/geofenced system like GM's supercruise.

5. BobS

BobS Active Member

Seems to work on any road with a line down the center and one down the edge.

ScubaSteve and Gary Morrison like this.
  6. Gary Morrison

Gary Morrison New Member

Thanks for verifying that!

A few months ago, we rented a Hyundai Santa Fe on a trip to San Francisco. It had what I presume was HDA1, and I didn’t see any evidence that it was geographically restricted.

Well, at least the lane-centering and adaptive cruise control features didn’t seem to be. I gather HDA2 adds some features (lane changes); maybe those features are geographically restricted. Dunno.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I had a look at the online shop manual, apparently it does use navigation to determine where it is and to initiate. I guess it won't work on urban roads?

Highway Driving Assist (HDA) : This system is a driving convenience system that reduces driver burden while driving on highway or motorway by controlling the vehicle’s steering, acceleration and deceleration to maintain the speed set by the driver, keep a safe distance from the vehicle directly ahead, and keep the vehicle in the center of its current lane. HDA uses navigational information to determine whether the vehicle is on highway or motorway. When the vehicle is on highway or motorway, HDA maintains the central position in the lane and the safe distance from the vehicle ahead by controlling steering and acceleration/deceleration in consideration of the lane information detected by the front camera and the relative position/speed detected by the front camera/radar from the vehicleahead.HDA is canceled when a driver presses the LFA button or SCC button or applies brake.Also, HDA alerts the driver with visual/audible warnings when it judges that driver takes hands off the steering wheel for more than certain time and if the driver still does not hold the steering wheel after the hands-off warning, HDA will be canceled.

Highway Driving Assist (HDA) Fitted without ADAS_DRV
    It will work automatically when a vehicle is being driven on the highway or motorway and the Smart Cruise Control is operating.
    It will work automatically when a vehicle enters the main lane on highway or motorway while Smart Cruise Control is operating.
    The system is canceled when pressing the lane driving assist button while HDA is operating.
    A hand-off warning is generated when the driver continues to take off hand from the steering wheel and the system is canceled if the driver does not continue to hold the steering wheel during the hand-off warning.

Fitted with ADAS_DRV( HDA2)
    It assists the lane change when a driver operates the turn signal lamp while driving at the speed of over 60km/h.
    if a vehicle in the next lane is driving at a close distance, your vehicle will drive to one side within the lane to prevent possible accident.
    It controls the SCC optimally along with the driver's propensity.
    It adjusts the steering feel depending on the drive mode.
    It can respond to cut-in vehicles coming from as hort distance.

Gary Morrison and electriceddy like this.
  9. Crash

Crash Member

When I drove a loop (2-lane road, 4-lane non-highway, and interstate) this morning, when I activated cruise control (same button that starts HDA), only on the interstate did the "HDA" and "NAV" icons show up in my HUD.

10. When the vehicle in front of you stops and you are not on the interstate, you have to press the resume button or the accelerator to start up again.. on the highway,, it starts up on it's own. The difference is it knows there are no red lights on the interstate. Adjusting for speed limit changes also depends on geography.

ozy likes this.
  11. Gary Morrison

Gary Morrison New Member

Great info! Thanks!

So, this description seems to suggest that it would work on any “open highway,” and not specifically on interstates as the video I cited seems to suggest.

So then, you folks who have Ioniq 5s, can you confirm that HDA (lane-centering and adaptive cruise control) do indeed work on open highways other than Interstate highways in particular?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Yes, lane centering on secondary highways or our main 400 series in Ontario, Canada. However, on the secondary highways, both the center and side lane lines must be seen - if not, it cancels itself. Also, secondary highways, typically, during auto steer, only allow up to 60 seconds before the first warning but up to 4 mins on the main highways. HDA2 contains some additional features that can only be used on the main highways such as lane change assist. NAV will not come on when using a secondary highway, only the main highways.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  14. Steve
    Have you been able to get the HDA icon(HDA2) to turn on the main screen or HUD? I took my I5 out on the transcanada outside Winnipeg today. I can turn on the adaptive cruise and lane centering/autosteer which work fine but no HDA icon comes on and consequentially there is no ability to do auto lane changes. If it doesn't work on Trans Canada what highways does it work on in Canada? Does it work on the 401? We obviously don't have interstates.

15. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Yes. The main screen and HUD both worked. I get the icon when driving highway 401 which is the main east/west highway across southern Ontario. It doesn't work on the TransCanada highway in Ontario either. Auto Lane Change works but usually don't use it b/c you need to keep your hand on the steering wheel ... and, I may as well do the change myself.

apu likes this.
  16. Gary Morrison

Gary Morrison New Member

Thanks for verifying that lane centering does not require you to be on Interstates.

I’m curious about your comment here:

Correct me if I’m misunderstanding, but I think you’re talking about driving hands off the wheel?

I personally am only interested in ADAS for the purpose of “adding 9s,” so to speak, to my driving safety percentage. That is, my personal interest is to keep my hands on the wheel all the time all the time, but to have HDA2 “cover for me” in rare instances when I suffer a lapse of attention, or (preferably not!) nod off.

17. The HDA2 is really no different from the auto lane centering and adaptive cruise control in that you can typically keep you hands off the steering wheel for a couple of minutes before being prompted. If there are curves on the road the system only gives you around 20-30 seconds before it prompts you for your hands.

The main feature of HDA2 with the addition of front sensors is auto lane changing and it allows the car to scoot over if it detects a vehicle trying to encroach on your lane. The front sensors also add front cross traffic detection to you safety suite that you would not have otherwise without HDA2.
    Its not clear to me if the ADAS firmware is any more advanced in the Ioniq 5s equipped with HDA vs HDA2. My HDA2 equipped Ioniq 5 is definitely a big upgrade over my HDA equipped 2020 Kona EV. Compared to the Kona its much more confident with its highway presence and keeps the car driving semi autonomously much longer.

I finally got my HDA2 to engage on a recent trip to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan to pick up my son's new Model Y. The HDA2 auto lane changing was cool but a bit under whelming. I not try the Tesla's autopilot which would be similar to HDA(in Tesla you need to upgrade to full self driving to get auto lane change) but did notice while following the Tesla a few times on the 900 km trip back that the Model Y's optical sensors would phantom brake for no apparent reason which of course was immediately picked up by my Ioniq's radar based adaptive cruise control, lol.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    electriceddy likes this.
  18. Make sure he (and family) is aware of the mechanical door release and is practiced in using it.
    Unfortunately this owner found out a little too late:

“The driver told me the car powered down and shifted into park as he stopped at the intersection,” Lester said, and that’s when he started filming.

In the video, the driver of the vehicle explains how they had to kick their way out of the vehicle to escape.

“All of a sudden, my car just shut down, it just said error error error, and all of a sudden the battery started smoking,” said the driver in the video."
    https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/north-vancouver-tesla-driver-fire

Curious to know more on the phantom braking encountered. Obviously the Model Y was in front of you, did you observe any anomalies that could cause that to happen, how far where you behind, and reactive countermeasures from your Ionic 5 - were they harsh and abrupt (like Kona EV FCA - Forward Collision Avoidance) or better at responding without undo deceleration.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  19. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Hi Gary,

HDA2, for me, is all about hands off (but prepared to immediately hold the steering wheel again). Should you use it under all conditions? No. Does it help make for a less tiring, long distance drive? Yes.

20. Yes the Model Y was in front of me. I had my autosteer/adaptive cruise on, setup for 4 car lengths following distance. Both cars had cruise set for 100km/hr.
    I would see his brake lights flash and the Ioniq would decelerate roughly 3-4 km/hr. The Tesla recovered very quickly and it was pretty mild experience from my end. My son would confirm these were autosteer initiated phantom braking. There no obvious visual anomalies that I could see. No overhead cloud or overpass shadows, no road obstructions. Really just open Saskatchewan TransCanada highway. I have no idea what the Tesla autopilot was freaking out about. It repeated this at least 3 times during the 900km trip home. Oddly in once instance a metal bar flew off a passing truck and my son had to run over it. Fortunately no damage to the Model Y but autopilot did not care enough to take any evasive action.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    electriceddy likes this.
  21. ozy

ozy Active Member

I realize this is an old thread but would like to check on something related. Just acquired a new ioniq 5 and love the idea of HDA2. My question is whether HDA2 automatically incorporates lane assist into it or if you can deselect that option by simply not pressing on the lane assist button? I like adaptive cruise control (the previous generation of HDA2) but am not completely sold on lane assist. I like lane assist when it is "mild" ie: simply tries to keep you in the center of your lane. However, I don't like it if it starts beeping, flashing, jerking on your wheel etc. Is there a way to decouple this from HDA2 or to tone it down so that it's not so aggressive?