Has anyone figured this one out?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Ken7, Mar 30, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

I know we discussed this in some thread, but I've lost track of where it was.

There are times where many of us have encountered the issue where, when leaving the car, we get a series of rapid beeps once the door is closed and you begin to walk away. If you have the doors set to 'auto lock', that rapid beep tells you the doors will not automatically lock. That's a potential issue if you're not paying attention.

For the life of me, I can see no rhyme or reason for when or why this occurs. All doors are closed, the trunk is closed, no port is open...it's just a random unexplained thing.

Does anyone have any additional insight into this?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JackH

JackH Member

When you close the door wait for a single chime. The you can walk away and you will hear a second chime. If you move away too quickly you will get the triple beeps.

Also, if you have any metal i.e. a pocket knife, a lot of change, a lot of other keys, in the same pocket it will interfere with the fob transmitter and cause the triple beeps.

I won't tell you how long it took me to figure this out.

Ken7 likes this.
  4. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

Really? That's strange, I always thought I walked away at about the same speed, but I'll have to keep a close eye on that. I actually think mine does more than 3 beeps, it sounds more like 4 or 5, but I could be wrong. Good find.

5. bfd

bfd Active Member

I think you're right, it's 5. Leave your key fob in the car, try to lock it, and you should get the same sound. I almost always get it when I'm loading/unloading from the trunk. I think the fob sensor doesn't distinguish well between being in the car to being 'very near' the car.

6. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

If you think about it, that might mean the more quickly you move away from the car the less likely it would be to get the multiple beeps. Should be an easy thing to test.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JackH

JackH Member

This is from the owners manual.

2 - Locking the doors and trunk (Walk away auto lock) (P 140)
    Q - Why does a beeper sound when I walk away from the vehicle after I close the door?
    A - The beeper sounds if you move outside the walk away auto lock operating range before the door completely closes.

Also from the Manual

Low Smart Entry Remote Signal Strength

The vehicle transmits radio waves to locate the smart entry remote when locking/unlocking the doors, opening the trunk, or to activate the power system.
    In the following cases, locking/unlocking the doors, opening the trunk, or activating the power system may be inhibited or operation may be unstable:
    • Strong radio waves are being transmitted by nearby equipment.
    • You are carrying the smart entry remote together with telecommunications equipment, laptop computers, cell phones, or wireless devices.
    • A metallic object is touching or covering the smart entry remote.

Ken7 and KentuckyKen like this.
  9. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

I could have sworn there were times I was standing very close to the car and I still got the 4-5 beeps with no auto-lock.

I’ll keep a close eye on this, but I think I may begin to make a habit of locking the car with the remote. Several times I returned to the car only to find the doors had never locked.

10. loomis2

loomis2 Well-Known Member

Today I walked away from the car in a parking lot and didn't get any beeps at all and I had to manually push the button on the door like a caveman to lock the car. When I got home it locked on its own like it is supposed to when I walked away. Also, when I left on my trip that ended in that parking lot problem the seats didn't automatically move to my position. I had to stop the car and hit my seat number button to get it to change so something didn't register correctly when I started the car this morning. I have noticed that this happens with the Clarity occasionally.

11. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

Yeah, I still think there’s something we’re missing. These may just be random occurrences that we’ll never figure out. But for those who use the walk away auto lock, you really need to pay attention or your car may remain unlocked.

12. To remove this ad click here.