Has anyone added a light to the storage area under gear selector?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Mark W, Oct 4, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

That’s a really bright idea! :cool:

Even a dim motion-sensing light would help.

3. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Yes, I think motion sensing might be nice. But it would be hard to make it work only when you want to. You wouldn't want it coming on every time you move your leg.

4. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    I've done a lot of looking. Many of the touch lights I have found are too big for the area. The underside of the gear selector wing is somewhat rounded, so I don't think a bigger one would work well.

5. There is a light there already on the touring, don’t know about the base model.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    How does it work? Does it just work in conjunction with the front dome light? I have a base model.

8. Sandroad

Really! When does it turn on? I've never had a light there in my Touring, so I must be missing something.

9. Crota

Crota Member

I just have my lights set to auto and I can see under the center console when it is dark.

10. JCEV

JCEV Active Member

There it is. Yes there is already a light there .

Attached Files:

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Sandroad

Wow, a light! I used auto for the lights today and that LED was on. Thanks!

13. JCEV

JCEV Active Member

Everyone should keep their lights on auto :) Also I like the feature where the lights turn on when wipers are used

Randy Stegbauer and leehinde like this.
  14. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

I haven't used the wipers, except to clean the windshield yet, so I didn't notice that. In California it's state law that you turn your lights on if you are using your wipers. I doubt that's at the top of the enforcement pile.

15. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Thanks @JCEV, I’ve had my Clarity since Feb. and had never noticed that light. Mine only comes on with the headlights or parking lights. It would make more sense if it came on with the interior lights too, but oh well. Learn something new every day!

16. vicw

vicw Active Member

It definitely would be better if it would go on with headlights, parking lights or interior lights - especially interior. On the other hand, that has to be the world's dimmest light bulb. I can see when it's on with a mirror, but it doesn't seem to have any effect at all on the visibility of items below it, at least on my car. Pretty much useless, as it is.

17. Does anyone else think the windshield washer is lame? Hardly any fluid comes out. :-(

18. JCEV

JCEV Active Member

I think this falls under the ambient lighting category. Not supposed to be very bright . I do notice it easily though. Still waiting for my ambient footwell and door sill lighting to be installed

19. vicw

vicw Active Member

I look forward to your comments regarding the footwell and door sill lighting. While I really can't see any effect from the existing light in the center, I would consider paying extra to get some light in the footwell area, as long as it will be enough to be helpful. It's as dark as a coal mine in that area.

I just looked at the installation instructions for the footwell light - looks like a nightmare for the average owner to install. I wonder what the dealer will charge.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  20. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

I've noticed it a couple of weeks ago too. Same with the tiny "ambient" LEDs next to the map lights and dome light.

21. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Thanks to those who pointed out the existence of this light. The point still remains that this area is too dark and could use another light. Ideally, it would be a small black touch LED light. If anyone finds anything suitable for this area, please post it.

22. Sandroad

My dealer quoted $365 for the “interior illumination”, parts and labor. I didn’t do it; I bought light tan Weathertech floor liners instead. Works great to lighten up the footwells o_O