Grizzl-e Smart works on 120v

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by markintosh13, Jun 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Intrigued by the Hyundai stock granny charger working 240v with a combiner cord, and going down a bit of a rabbit hole looking for a universal "could charge off anything at maximum speed with adapters" travel charger...

I opened up my Grizzl-e Smart evse today. The input side power supply module is marked indicating it accepts 110v-240v and outputs 12v to the unit for processing and wifi.

I changed the dip switches from 32amps down to 16, then built an adapter from a stove plug 14-50 receptacle, a box, and a short heavy duty 120v appliance extension cord. The Grizzl-e does care which side the hot is wired to - the first time i plugged it in the LED went red and it emitted a series of fault buzzes. I swapped the hot to the other blade, and on the second test the unit booted up normally.

I set my Kona's charging current to minimum and reduced and charged off a regular garage 5-15 outlet (at 1kw and 1.5kw respectively). I then set the charge current to maximum and with the help of a very long heavy duty extension cord plugged into a 5-20 receptacle and charged at 1.7 - 1.8kw (I figure with a shorter heavy duty cord I would see 1.9kw).

Now the Grizzl-e chargers are not small or compact, and changing amps involves an allen key, 4 bolts and dip switches, so this still isn't an ideal travel evse by any means.

But it's nice to know I already have more options than I previously knew about.

2. To remove this ad click here.