Great C-NET video on different chargers/ connectors

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by KentuckyKen, Feb 27, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

insightman, 4sallypat, Elm and 4 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Well done. I'm not sure he got the 240V J1772 pin-outs correct, but I've no quibble with the overall information and how well it was presented. Thanks for posting.

4. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

It is a good video. Being picky, I don't think any level 2 goes to 90 kW. The Teslas have dual chargers for an option, so they could take 80A or 19.2 kW if equipped with that option. I've never heard of any level 2 charging beyond that amount. And I don't think any J1772 connectors will go beyond about 40A. 90 kW would be 375 A at 240V.

5. KentuckyKen

Yeah, I thought about that too. It seemed like he was defining Level 1 , 2, and 3 EVSEs by the voltage doubling and not the power. Does anybody know the correct or technical definition of Level 1 vs 2 or 3 EVSE?

6. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

KentuckyKen likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KentuckyKen

Thanks, Robert. Wow, SAE says Level 1 can be 120 V, up to 19 kW, 16 A.
    And Level 2 can be 240 V, up to 19.2 kW, 80 A. And it even defines DC for each Level as you pointed out.

That is very helpful info for those installing Level 2 EVSEs who are trying to future proof the wiring.

9. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

That is VERY useful info. Thanks for digging it up. As I contemplate what to do for Level 2 in my garage, it’s good to have the standards.

10. KentuckyKen

Whoops. Typo in post #6. The 120 V was supposed to be 1.9 kW not 19 kW.
    Thanks again for sharing this great info, @Robert_Alabama.