Gps update status

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Flower, Aug 29, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Flower

Flower New Member

anyone heard if the will update gps software? I think they should have told me it was old version they won't update. I bought a new car with outdated gps software. When one buys a new ca it is correct to think the software should have newest info.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

Built in nav will always lag the market.

Android Auto is great. Apple CarPlay support is catching up.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

5. ozy

ozy Active Member

I'm not so excited about android auto and ultimately disabled it from my cell phone. The problem with it is that it senses when I'm in the car and automatically turns on. This sounds like a good thing but, on my phone, it drives me crazy. During my drive I often need to check something on my phone (under safe circumstances) and auto android blocks me from getting to the features that I need. Sometimes I literally pull over to the side of the road to respond to an email or text only to find that auto android has completely taken over my phone and is not allowing me access to gmail or text etc. This may be a quirk of my samsung note 5 but it drives me crazy and I've had to disable it altogether. If I want to use navigation I simply use it on my cell phone screen rather than use auto android and enjoy it on the big screen.

6. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

Garmin releases updates annually and they come free for the first five years. After that it’s something like $100 per year or $300 lifetime. Kind of a rip off vs Waze IMO. When you do the update use a new USB or reformat one to use. I used a USB from another car and it wiped my maps and was a pain to restore everything.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Edd

Edd New Member

SO does this mean we get updates to the softwear for the screen in the car? How do I get these updates? Website?

Thanks
    Edd

9. moka

moka New Member

Honda Garmin map updates: https://honda.garmin.com/honda/site

Edd likes this.
  10. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

You can get updates for the maps only. You need to register the head unit with garmin and they download the maps over the internet to a USB device that you then plug into the car.

Edd likes this.
  11. Edd

Edd New Member

Moka RickSE

Thank you.

Edd

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. __jl

__jl New Member

I'm actually a big fan of Android Auto, save for the fact that the cable I use doesn't seem to be the most robust and it will disconnect every now and then (which is particularly annoying when checking directions, and I have to disconnect-reconnect the cable one handed while driving)
    The flip side of this is that if I need to disable android auto for whatever reason, I just unplug the cable...