Got 51 miles today in winter

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Simon Sun, Dec 13, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Simon Sun

Simon Sun New Member

(pasted to the wrong forum, repast it here)
    Though the winter here is not too cold, still very happy.
    Actually it shows 52.0 miles in the front panel.
    Screenshot_2018-12-13-06-37-36-505_HondaLink.png

Kevin T likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

Lucky you. I am getting about 33-35 miles up here in snow country. Might be months before I see the EV miles go over 40 again.

Randy Stegbauer likes this.
  4. ryd994

ryd994 Active Member

AC settings? Seat warmer? Precondition?

5. Simon Sun

Simon Sun New Member

Not enabled any of them.
    Otherwise can only get 40 miles.

It's just a kind of test, I just wanted to see how much the battery can perform in Dec.

6. Dan McInerney

Dan McInerney Member

Thinking about postings from those getting in the 50s in winter and upper 60s in summer: for those of us getting in the mid-30s now (or only in the high-50s in warm weather), should we be concerned . . . or, at least, asking the dealer if there's a software update or part to check?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

I’m only getting a range of about 35 in temps in the 30s. In the summer we’d get as high as 55. So the Clarity (at least our Clarity) takes a huge range hit in cold weather.

How anyone got a range of high 60s, in any weather, is beyond me, unless they do a lot of downhill driving. ;)

Dan McInerney likes this.
  9. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

Those numbers are achievable if you don't turn on the heat at all. I wasn't using the heat even though with temps in the 20/30s. The EV range indicator was 58 miles the last time I charged to full (I typically charge to 80% as recommended by other EV manufacturers like Tesla). I'm able to avoid using the resistive heater most days because my garage is heated and insulated so the battery and cabin are modestly warm when I start out (about 55 degrees). Also, my driving is mostly in town so speeds are low. My typical 16.5 loop uses 19% of the battery in the summer and 23% currently (w/o heat). With the heater on lightly, it's well over 30%. If you set the cabin temp to 68 degrees or higher, you'll have very low EV range, especially if you drive at highway speeds. That's just the nature of these vehicles.

10. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

Simon (OP) could you say where you are, or temperature ranges where you are? I'm curious what your current lows and high temperatures are?

11. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

I thought I had read someone that had tested out his range with & without heat and found a difference of only about 1-2 miles. But honestly, I'll be damned if I'm going to freeze my butt off for a bit of additional range. We buy nice cars to be comfortable and driving in the winter without heat is not my cup of tea.

SThomas219 and KentuckyKen like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mariner91

Mariner91 Member

Caveat that my personal experience is still very limited (it's only been a couple of weeks that it's been below 60 in the AM lol) but it seems to me the fact that it's colder outside is not as important to the estimate as I was led to believe. So far, what's affecting my range (both estimated, and actual) is what I'm using while on my daily (same route, routine etc) commute, including: windshield defogger, AC (and how strong it is) etc. That said, the difference from my experience so far is more than 1 - 2 miles; more like 5 - 10 miles (and that's on a 30 mile round trip commute lol) Worse experience so far was leaving the windshield defogger on through an entire 12 mile drive (and it wsn't even raining the entire time, I just forgot) and I basically used up 2x my normal energy usage for that leg of my commute. By the time I got home, my battery was at 37% when normally it's closer to 55%

14. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Us Kens think alike on this. I was willing to not use the heat to see how much I could stretch my range. That worked with preconditioning and seat heater while the temps were low 40s. But now it’s cabin heat and to h**l with the range and MPGe!

Watching the range go down with cold weather is like watching your retirement investments every single day. It will give you ulcers and a heart attack. I’m saying no to the stress and yes to the heat.

BTW, I’ve seen the EV range estimate go from mid 60s in summer to now low 50s at 40 F. That’s local driving under 60 mph, driver only, no big hills, with AC and then seat heater and not factoring in preconditioning. Actual range is usually 10 to 15% less but I hardly ever drive over 30 m in one day.
    And I’ve only pumped 14 gal of gas for the whole year so no complaints.
    Absolutely the BEST CAR EVER for the money and for what was available at the time I bought it.

Randy Stegbauer and Ken7 like this.
  15. Simon Sun

Simon Sun New Member

About 40 to 52 recent days

16. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

I’m absolutely stuck on 35-36 regardless of the type of driving. We drive conservatively, no jack-rabbit starts, so I’m resigned to these numbers until the spring.

Of more immediate concern is the low pressure tire warning we got yesterday. All tires showed about 36, until I got to the last one on the drive’s side rear...10lbs. :(

So this morning we’re out to a tire repair shop we trust for a fix that can hopefully be made. We’ve already had to replace one tire. I wonder if these OEM Michelins are more prone to road hazards?

17. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

When the temperature reaches 40°F here, people will be walking around in shorts. My EV range has fallen into the 20s and I don't expect it to change much for the next three months. But I concur with your feelings on using heat; I did not buy this car to be uncomfortable. Luckily I can still accomplish my local errands with the reduced EV range.

Is "MPGe" your invention or is this a unit of measure that's formally defined somewhere?

18. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

It’s actually an EPA invention and is listed on the Mulroney sticker which says our EPA cost estimates are based on 15,000 miles/yr, $2.40/gal, $0.13/kw, and 31kW/100miles. So the EPA lists the Clarity at 110 MPGe combined city/highway with the best midsize car getting 136 MPGe.
    The calculations are all at fueleconomy.gov. Which also lets you calculate personalized estimates (using you particular cost of gas and electricity) and compare vehicles.

@bpratt posted this a while back:
    The government defines MPGe as:
    (Miles driven / KWh used) * 33.7
    So my best MPGe is 38.4 miles / 8.97 KWh * 33.7 = 144.267 MPGe

I also calculate MPGe based on the cost of gas.
    Miles per KWh * (price per gallon of gas / cost of power per KWh)
    So when I got the 144.27 MPGe, the cost of gas was $3.18.
    The cost of my power is $0.0963 and I got 4.28 miles per Kmh
    4.28 * (3.18 / .0963) = 141.333 real MPGe based on cost of gas

Merry Christmas!

Randy Stegbauer likes this.
  19. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

Your temps are about same as mine-- I'm in Eugene, OR. My range lately has been about 30-32 miles.