Google Maps no longer displays turns on gauge cluster

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by AlAl, Dec 25, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. AlAl

AlAl Active Member

I cant for the life of me figure out why android auto no longer displays street names and turns on the gauge cluster like it used to.
    IIRC, I was dorking around with the built in Nav, then around that time it stopped pushing directions to the gauge cluster. Anyone ever experience this, or found a way to undo this?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

AlAl likes this.
  4. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

I heard from an owner on a different forum that a recent update to Android Auto broke that feature. Not sure if this is a temporary bug or something permanent. I haven't found any other reports of this online and haven't had a chance to test it out myself recently.

UncheckedException likes this.
  5. Timothy

Timothy Active Member

This feature no longer works for either me or my wife. We have Galaxy S9's.

6. AaD

AaD Member

Couldn't get it to work on my galaxy S7 after the update either, it's annoying. I had hoped that finding the car's menu option for enabling turn by turn would fix it, but after finding it (it is under the meter options for some reason) it's no use, gauge just says "waiting for smart phone". Hopefully they address it in the next update.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. AlAl

AlAl Active Member

Good to know I'm not alone. So it definitely wasnt the Android Auto app, since I took home the car on the day AA last updated.
    Must be a GMaps bug from the 19th update. I notice street names will show up on the dash, only while using nav, but turn notifications arent getting pushed to the cluster. Fingers crossed they resolve it soon.

9. Olimpia

Olimpia Member

It's probably best if you report this issue to Google so they are aware something is wrong.

AlAl likes this.
  10. AlAl

AlAl Active Member

I did just that. If others wish to jump in(help expedite the process), launch maps > tap stack next to search> scroll down to send feedback.
    99% sure it's the maps app

MPower likes this.
  11. Olimpia

Olimpia Member

I'm considering the purchase of a Clarity so I will definitely do this if I get one. Do you know if this feature (turn directions on cluster) is available for the base trim? I'd like to think it is since it's an Android Auto feature but just want to make sure.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JJim

JJim Active Member

Totally agree since the Waze still displays turns on the gauge cluster

Yes, it is available on Base trim

14. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Mine was also fine on my long trip, but I foolishly updated and now it is not displaying on the gauge cluster any more (Galaxy S7 edge). Sent a complaint to Google using "Feedback".

I am trying to decide whether to roll back Google Maps to previous version. Does any one know the version number of the last good version?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  15. ryd994

ryd994 Active Member

Good to know that waze still works
    (downloading Waze……)

16. iluvscuba

iluvscuba Active Member

Waze does not work for me around mid Nov time frame if I plugged in the USB cable. It starts on my phone and then the screen goes back to home screen

17. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

I really wish the Clarity supported turn-by-turn via Apple CarPlay apps:
    Mapping received an overhaul for iOS 10 that is carried over to CarPlay. If your car supports it, Apple has added the ability to display turn-by-turn directions in the center instrument cluster on your car so you can follow directions without turning your head.
    car1473080068892.png
    Image source:
    https://www.macstories.net/reviews/ios-10-refines-the-carplay-experience/

18. AlAl

AlAl Active Member

Have you tried another map app? General consensus indicates GMaps is broken on the latest update, but used to show turn-turn, with a distance-to marker on the cluster. I'm using android, but cant imagine ACP is any different in that regard

19. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Yep no love for instrument cluster on Apple Maps, Waze or Google Maps :(
    It does work fine on Android Auto (when Waze isn't crashing)

20. Jordan

Jordan Member

Maybe I'm in the minority but I love that it doesn't show the directions on my dashboard anymore. I use Android auto all the time and was so annoyed when those pesky arrows showed up

21. mpeters42

mpeters42 Member

I believe there is a setting to enable/disable that behavior

22. Jordan

Jordan Member

Oh... Maybe I just disabled it then... :)

23. Linkmodo

Linkmodo Member

It's weird, I have directions in both Waze and Google maps, I think it's an add-on installed by Android Auto when paired with the Clarity at initial setup. I found it rather annoying and found no way of disabling it when map app is running in Android Auto, as it constantly popping up in my instrument panel when i just want to stare at the EV range gauge.