Going for a test drive.

Discussion in 'Mustang Mach-E' started by Fastnf, Feb 20, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I will be going for a test drive in a Mach E next Tuesday and comparing it to a Volvo XC40 Recharge which I will also be test driving. If any one has any questions about the car that they want me to ask the dealer or items they would like to see or know about let me know and I will try to get the information and post it after the test drive. I will be testing a Premium AWD extend range model but the dealer has several others on the lot.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

Something tells me the dealer will be learning more from you than the other way around, I'll be interested to see your take on it. I keep hearing conflicting reports on the true range of the extended AWD, that the EPA 270 mile rating is optimistic.

4. I plan on keeping track of the mi/kwh both on the freeway and on some hills. I am in Southern Califronia with the temps in the 70's F I should see optimal range.

Jimct likes this.
  5. How did it go? You are keeping us on edge awaiting the results:)

6. IMG_3223.JPG IMG_3225.JPG IMG_3226.JPG IMG_3224.JPG
    Sorry for the slow response . The dealers were 2 hours from my house, toss time for lunch and a DCFC and a little Los Angles rush hour driving and it was an all day trip.

Over all very impressed with both cars that I drove today. I did back to back test drives in two EV's ,the first was a Mustang all wheel drive extended range Premium edition with an EPA 270 miles. The Second was a Volvo XC40 Recharge P8. I will cover the Mustang here add the XC40 in the Volvo forum

The car is very comfortable and roomy I had two friends with me and the salesman. So the car will easily carry four large adults with plenty of leg room and head space. The seats adjust nicely for fit with the exception that there is not enough tilt in the seat base. I prefer the front up and back down much like in a racing seat. But over all they were comfortable and supportive for street driving. Both of my friends complained the panoramic roof let in to much sun even with the AC on. It was about 80F in Thousand Oaks today. That does not bode well for the summer. I am guessing either darker tint or aftermarket screen to cover it would help. The steering can be adjust up or down and in or out so that helps with finding the ideal position. With the car set up I took it out and started with a few acceleration test and found the car to be quick but not quite as fast as I was expecting. But wait I realized that I had probably close to 600 pounds of passengers with me. Ok the car is quick. Next I looked for some nice twisty road corners. The sales person recommended one road. After a mile or so I told him the road wasn't tight enough as I was exceeding the speed limit and was no where near the limits of the car.
    I explained to the salesman that I was a autocross/ time trial/club racer in Porches. I don't think he took me seriously but pointed me to another road which was much tighter. As I tossed the car gracefully (oh and the rear seat passengers) through about the third corner the salesman said to me Oh!! You ARE a race car driver !! I digress you wanted to here about the car not my driving skills. The car was very neutral with slight over steer when pushed hard but always comfortable and controlled. I only drove it with one pedal driving the same as I do in the Kona. I prefer one pedal driving as to me emulates the effects of high performance engine with a manual transmission. When you let off the throttle the car slows dramatically. In an EV the regen slows the car when rolling out of the accelerator to the same effect. At higher speeds the deceleration was smooth the near complete stop I found OPD a little ratchety or jerky. This was probably just do to the muscle memory from the Kona OPD being a slightly different amount of feathering and I am sure I would pick it up and smooth it out with a little more seat time. I also took it on the freeway nice and smooth. Great acceleration for merging. The drive wasn't really long enough to test out active cruise control or check range though most reports getting epa range in optimal conditions and about 3-3.5 miles /kw hr.

Over all impression; very nice car. I will definitely give it consideration when my lease is up on the Kona. I would prefer the steel roof that is available on the select model but it does not come with the extended range battery so it looks like i might be waiting for the gt which has the steel roof and al little more power and a little less range ( 250 EPA).

The one I drove was black. They also had a red rear wheel drive. They told me they were demos but they also tried to make a deal and get me to buy one today. So if you are looking for one with no wait DCH Ford in Thousand Oaks California has two available now.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    electriceddy and Jimct like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

One of the reasons I avoid black vehicles is they do get hot under the sun, panoramic roof or not.

Appreciate the observations from your perspective, I'm looking forward to a test drive myself.

9. I
    I am not a fan of black cars either but I wanted to test an all wheel drive extended range model and it was the only one they had. The red was very nice in person but was a two wheel drive version. I still have 1 1/2 years on my current lease so I am just starting to look at options.

10. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

Exactly the same here, the Kona's lease is up October '22. I'm looking at the Mach e because the interior legroom allows for two couples while the Kona just doesn't work with back seat space barely accommodating a very small child. The Model Y would also be a possibility except I'd have to get someone to drive me 2 hours to NY to get it, and the Ford dealer's right in town. Having said that we'll probably lease another Kona as well since my wife loves the car, and I think it's fun to drive. When it's just the two of us it's just fine.

I appreciated your take on the car as it supports other positive reviews I've seen. As soon as we're vaxxed we'll be taking a serious look, but I'm conflicted between the performance of the all wheel drive vs the slightly better range of the rear wheel. We'll make that decision when the time comes.

11. I am right with you. My lease is up in July 22. I also test drove the Volvo xc40 electric. It was very similar as far as room and comfort though not quiet as good on range but it is exceptionally quick on acceleration. The Mach E was quick but nothing like the Volvo. At first I thought it was be cause of the weight of a four full size adults and that may have contributed to it. The salesman was 6'3" and probably 300 lbs, football tackle size. By the way he fit comfortably in the front and the back. I now think maybe it is drive gearing. The Volvo has a top speed of 112mph and the Mach e has a top speed of 130mph. I now think its the its the lower gearing in the Volvo that gives it its acceleration. It will be interesting to see how the Mach E GT compares.

12. To remove this ad click here.