GM & Ford facing customer strike & bankruptcy in about 12 months?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 101101, Apr 20, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

Anyone really think GM or Ford will make it past the 1st quarter of next year? May have to early retire out their entire rank and file employee base with full pay and full benefits (not the managements) but aside from that is it a good thing if these companies are allowed to continue given their obvious actual intent and history of recalcitrant behavior?

We're already hearing increased weasel noises from GM. Apparently per an article Nadelia (German ICE maker rep) posted on here today the GM North American head is making more "hiding behind" noises. Remember when GM hid behind its employees and its unions in its bankruptcy and Obama wasn't buying it and made bailing them out conditional on getting rid of their CEO and even zeroed out their shareholders? And since then GM has been trying to make it up with infinite stock buy backs and massive ads spends in the face of plant closures and withdrawing from major markets? Well, here we go again. The new weasels noises involve implying (strongly) that GM can't go all EV by 2035 if its customers don't support that. Let me translate that- what they are really saying is when they come begging 12 months from now for their 2nd rescue bailout in a little over 10 years it won't be because of anything they did or because of their status as a fossil fuel pusher but because the Biden administration pushed them where their customers didn't want to go! Just pointing that out now because that is total utterly transparent BS and no one should be allowed to say they buy it when it happens. If these two green washing laggards aren't much more EV centered in terms of actual market share in a year from now they stand to be bankrupted by a customer strike taking the down across the span of a mere quarter. What are they going to do? Hide it BMW style? Not going to work.

Even if they are bailed out if they aren't fully EV and off ICE in 2024 they will be bankrupt again within a year- they can't survive on a dwindling 10% of their sales. But just to be ridiculous they are trying to act like being fully EV 14 years from now is too aggressive- this is them already trying to place the blame elsewhere. There isn't any good will left for these companies- the public doesn't like them and its realizing that at an increasing rate.

GM and Ford oligarchs and execs know all this, their soothsayers in some drunken bar session must have told them and told Bill Ford too that they were going to have to ditch the plane or just crash, they know they are going down.

But look at the strategy difference for Ford. Although Ford's actual position isn't much different than GM's. Ford had its sales decline at least by what they will admit by 25% last year where Tesla's were up 36% with predictions for this year of Tesla sales being up 100%. (Something like a 9% decline bankrupted GM last time,) Of course Tesla was shut for almost a quarter last year- a good bit longer than Ford- but Ford had a demand due to lack of interest by consumers (a taste of what is to come) where Tesla had the opposite but welcome issue of trouble making cars fast enough to meet demand. So Ford's strategy seems to be to produce an improved compliance car Mach E (they will only sell in compliance numbers- that is their plan if you haven't noticed) advertise the hell out of it (too many of their ads for this defacto compliance car on this site) but again, not to generate sales but to make green noises so they can bait the hook and beg for their first bailout and they will lean on it being their first bankruptcy politically but we know it wasn't actually- would they have survived without the g-loan last time? They even made total pandering to the regulator noises- they actually advertised over and over again that they were sucking up to regulators- claiming it was virtuous because no one else was- that is how hard they've been preening for a bailout. But in the mean time their new CEO has actually dialed back from Hackworth on green, their F150 is a total punt- they are doing literally nothing but slap an electric motor and someone else's batteries in a F150 and spending on ads. VW said it would make 1/30th the batteries of Tesla through 2030 (like promising to make 1/30th the ICE engines and transmissions in the ICE era of a major competitor,) but Ford was even worse only just figuring out what it would have to say in its green washing by finally figuring or at least saying publicly that they would produce batteries in house. Up to that point Ford was announcing in apparently unknowingly that it would happily demote to a steel box coach builder because it was actually just a damn green washer and nothing else.
    Maybe Diess pointed it out to them?

What's happened under Biden is a new indirect bailout for these laggards (granted the credits around the world have turned out super great maybe better than a carbon tax in their limited applications) but this tepid 170 billion is designed to give the appearance that GM and Ford will regain access to capital markets instead of being further de-capitalized and that it will also some how be safe to lend to these totally weighted down with debt foot dragging kicking and screaming laggards because of buy American or some such thing. Tesla is building capacity to totally replace them, they aren't needed- they are slowing things down and surely just financing a bunch of FUD to slow things further and lobbying for total anti green crap like a mileage tax with puppets like Buttigeig (see his fossil fuel money taking record on opensecrets.org.) Greenwashing efforts in the US have total bs in them like CA giving 70 million to hydrogen fueling stations instead of clawing back wasted money on that dirty fossil fuel scam.

GM and Ford will probably be fishing for there 3rd and 2nd bankruptcies respectively by the next election but by that time it should be pretty clear that they won't have market share that can be recovered. They will be whining about anti trust at that time- important to ignore their whining and just liquidate them and use the proceeds to allow all employees (not management) early retirements with full benefits. They have the same right to exploit (expressed as a right to pollute) entitled mentality that the South had at the end of the civil war, fossil fuels were/are cotton picking part II.

I think one of the reasons Ford didn't officially go bankrupt last time was because the US couldn't abide having all 3 of the big 3 bankrupt at the same time so it helped Ford in a way that prevented from going under for face saving reasons. But notice 2 time bankruptcy Dodge Chrysler went the way of AMC and left the country. Ford and GM are fossil fuel companies pretending to be green if we bail them out should we then bailout out Exxon, Chevron, Texaco- truth is we've been bailing out those crap companies every year since the 50s in so many ways. But enough is enough.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Texas Niro EV

Texas Niro EV Active Member

Stop, just stop. Ford and GM are not going away AND YOU KNOW IT! As if the right wing garbage we have been deluged with lately wasn’t enough, we still have see this Tesla Fan Boy garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

DaleL and Bruce M. like this.
  4. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

Look at the total panic. Ford CEO says Ford doesn't beta test in non functional auto pilot place holder on the public- really? That is because Ford has nothing! Ford doesn't have stuff that is even equal to Mobile Eye 1.0 under Tesla, its stuff can't even do what amounts to lane keeping adaptive cruise control on stuff that isn't on the tiny amount of geo-mapped areas. Tesla's 1.0 hardware under the Mobile eye stuff didn't need geo-mapping and could do traffic circles but when Tesla left they sold to Intel and have since obviously gone backwards. But from that comment comes another one of these manufactured accidents (more on that below) set up to try to allow the lie industry to ask for instance Munro (as they just did) if he thinks regulators should give the tech a 3 year time out because their pay masters are terrified Tesla is about to win out right. Even with a 10 year time out these clowns couldn't figure it out nothing would get done because if it did auto insurance companies couldn't over charge you to help constantly socialize and prop up endless fossil fuel company stock losses- a truly rigged market. Then comes more utter bs. I like Ruffo despite his sometimes anti Tesla stance because at least he thinks and calls thing out. So he said this legal VP at Tesla that just went to the lidar company Luminar was an ex Ford guy (sound familar) and he was the guy that botched the MCU recall saying they were wearables. Now its said Luminar is a Theil company or backed by Theil who is also invested in Tesla but I suspect there was some sweetening and a bit of a middle finger there to generate the head line (that is supposed to prop for instance the Ford and GM stocks) but seems also likely that Luminar will need legal when Lidar in general can't deliver the expected goods. Then the media was like shouldn't Tesla be forced to rename Autopilot- SMR pointed out that anyone that can pass a drivers license test is cognizant enough to know the difference and for course one of the versions of the Anchorman (the best version) had that scene where one of guys mistook cruise control for a perfect autopilot with characteristic results so hilarious but that is the level of dumb- maybe that is how GM got the great Will Ferral to do the Sweden and Norway commercials- GM doesn't run any deeper than marketing- that commercial with Will was their best product in about 5 decades.

But just a comment on these accidents. I've never believed in any of them especially the ones in Florida and this one is just like that. This reminds me of the 50,000 gag orders that were issued after the biggest fossil fuel fraud in history: 911. People think that couldn't be because there would be subpoenas and daylight and all that. Really? What about those gag orders (on the level of secret law outside witness protection) from the 911 scam, did the stuff behind them ever become public knowledge? So it is such never ending bs that it just seems like they've got a Mockingbird type tie into the lie industry and some credentials and powers they never should have had that need to be revoked to do wag the dog kind of bs on behalf of fossil fuel type interests. That has to stop and hopefully it comes to light. What gives- some in government still think fossil fuels are a plan B? Relics that need to go, PNAC was over long ago and it failed!

Also in the feed today was Mercedes ruled out EQS based coup and station wagon lack of demand not surprising with 50% battery loss over 155k miles. But station wagons suck and so do shooting brakes its well know that humans are revolted by these ICE glory days designs. Even women don't like them. So 60k for a Cadillac Lyric station wagon- not going to sell. And GM is claiming now Cadillac will be all EV by 2030? If GM as a whole isn't mainly EV by the end of the year they don't look likely to make it all the way through even the 1st quater of 2022.

Malloughy does Mach E range review- really?- like people are going to take him seriously based on his horrid record of bs? Steven Mitchell and Tesla Kim are back- both were super pro Nikola and she was/is a BP consultant- unless I've got her mixed up with another but I don't think so- she is the one that had to block endless people on twitter over their justifiable outrage. Mitchell had to deal with similar justifiable outrage, he should just quite the scene or just get a job as an anchor in the lie industry. Reminds of that TFOIL father son duo (like the anti Zac and Jessie) that are always saying obviously bought and for anti Tesla Toyota self charging is better stuff. Reminds me that I forgot add to Toyota's recent record that its CEO was trying to say hybrids were better for the environment than BEVs- very bad behavior...
    And that Alex is now all up the but of VW? And a made up World Car award for the ID4? Come on.

5. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

The notion that a company must be mainly EV by the end of this year may be the dumbest thing I've ever read on the internet, which is saying something. BEVs comprised slightly less than 2% of the U.S. market last year.

DaleL likes this.
  6. papab

papab Member

This forum would be improved if 101101 was banned. Or at least a character limit.

DaleL and Domenick like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I just wish he would post, or have his posts promptly moved, to the appropriate relevant car forum based on his content. Or to the Off Topic forum below. They are a major distraction here on General. I consider his posts just trolling, trying to invoke negative reactions. I am not sure what his agenda is, other than an extreme Tesla fanboi.

DaleL likes this.
  9. Bruce M.

10 characters maximum should suffice.

DaleL likes this.
  10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

My recommendation is:
    • 250 word limit
    • 5 characters per word
    • 1,250 character limit
    • should block back-to-back posts from same user
    • should include an image size limits
    So to add more 'stuff', the poster needs to write tight, paragraphs without verbal dysentery to solicit a response.

Bob Wilson

ps. I follow Mark Twain's recommendations: https://azevedosreviews.wordpress.com/2013/09/08/mark-twains-20-quotes-on-writing/

pps. Perhaps the best response is to address the 'fluff' in these mega postings making sure there is NO technical content. In effect. make these over worded fluff pieces into a series of totally politically incorrect responses. Like feeding sugar to a toddler, the OP will initially think "I've WON" only to realize over time, his fluff is useless.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  11. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

If you think that's bad, Biden's climate czar was in bed with the oil industry right up to his appointment. Can't make this stuff up.

John Kerry invested in oil companies prior to becoming Biden's climate envoy, financial disclosures show

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/john-kerry-climate-investments-oil-companies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bwilson4web

I get a lot of solicitations for the Democratic Party but since you cited “FOX,” you’ve moved me to donate. FOX makes it up and you vomited here.

FAB66A15-67F4-46F0-A799-70B4CDA1F0D0.png

Would you like to double my donation?

Bob Wilson

ps. My understanding is this donation was triple matched.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  14. The account you're responding to is no longer active.

DaleL and bwilson4web like this.
  15. bwilson4web

Is OK.

I kinda wish they’d read my response but I was 45-55% about a donation. They’d thrown me over my threshold.

Bob Wilson

16. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

Thumbs up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaleL and Bruce M. like this.
  17. Bruce M.

At the risk of veering slightly off topic, I write and edit professionally and have long said that everything I know about writing I learned from reading Mark Twain. That said, that list of recommendations doesn't include his best and pithiest:

Plain clarity is better than ornate obscurity.

Words to live by!

DaleL and bwilson4web like this.