GM and EVgo charging infrastructure deal

Discussion in 'General' started by SouthernDude, Feb 16, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

Several months ago GM and EVgo announced a deal they had made to install about 2,700 charging stations (I think that’s the correct number). Have there been any updates on this announcement? Like any preliminary plans or anything?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TRSmith

TRSmith Member

GM is basically providing a lot of data and other information to help EVgo figure out where to put chargers.

That’s pretty much it. GM isn’t helping to pay for the stations or have any ownership stake or anything. More here: https://www.eenews.net/stories/1063712085

4. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

ugh. that really is it. To be honest, that data doesn't really have that much value because you could determine the same exact thing by looking at the number of lanes a road has or asking local people. Utterly pointless.

Don't get me wrong, I do think that it is generally a good thing that GM isn't trying to own the charging network. That just creates a monopoly incentive, which isn't inherently bad, but later on that system wouldn't be nimble. The issue is that the lack of infrastructure at this point is the biggest barrier to EV adoption.