Getting by without heat

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Paul DeLeon, Dec 12, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

During this so far mild winter, I have not used the heater much. This has been possible because of a heating blanket and anti-fog window spray. The built in seat and steering wheel heaters help too.
    The 12 volt blanket was $40 from Amazon, Great Working Tools. A little more expensive than some, but it has a removable plug, so I don't have to fiddle with the power cord. It has a bit more power, but takes 5 minutes to heat. The Invisible Glass spray eliminates fogging on humid days with no heater needed.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

I looked up the power usage of an average 12vdc electric blanket on Amazon and it looks like it uses about 50 watts. This is far less than the power used by the Kona heater. Nice solution. I don't know if would help my feet much as I don't know how safe it would be to have a blanket around my brake pedal. Interesting way to squeeze mileage out of your car.

4. I used to the run seat heater and heated steering wheel only when I had my electric Smart car, in winter the range was only 60 miles or less if running in very cold weather. I’m less concerned with the Kona due to its larger battery pack but I still run with the heat off in mild conditions, old habits I guess. Never tried the blanket.