General ID4 issues

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by Brian Prendergast, Jan 3, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. So I've had the car about a month and put about 2K miles on it. I have a few things that I'm curious if anyone else has seen.

1. Backup camera in low light is horrible. Like so bad I might try to install lights out back to make it usable. I'll get pics soon.
    2. Child safety locks are bad. I hit them by accident and sometimes they show not on but we can't open the back doors. Even when outside with the key. I will video the next time this happens. This seems like a safety issue.
    3. Interior lights don't always turn on when opening the door. Not sure if there is a pattern like the kids turning the back light on or the keys being left in the car but for some reason they do not always turn on.
    4. Passenger side window (controlled from the passenger side door) will roll the window down when you tell it to roll up. If you start pushing it down, then pull up to stop it, then pull up again, it goes down.
    5. Passive Lane keeping is aggressive. So much so I turn it off when I get in the car. I wouldn't mind it just vibrating but I have been in the snow on a bad day and it finds the lanes wrong and jerks the wheel. I also have intentionally crossed the yellow to make room for a biker and it pushes me back toward them rather than just letting me know I'm drifting.
    With all those in mind, I am loving this car. It's a lot of fun and I really enjoy it.

VeeDub'r and Domenick like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Hubert Nueckel

Hubert Nueckel New Member

I have had the car for a little bit more than 1 month. Only 600 miles so far.
    Same experience with 1. and 5. Especially 1., can't really make out what's behind. Tried to adjust the settings, no difference.
    And with 5., at least it's consistent. Driving from our house, the striping on the street at one particular spot is weird. And the car tries to correct every time. I got used to it. With bikers, I have the same problem, tries to steer back towards the biker. On the other hand, I had the car correct a few times when I was distracted (trying to figure out how things work).

no experience with 2., 3. or 4.
    great car, I really enjoy driving it and the wait was worth it.

4. Just went for a quick ride and was able to reproduce #4 on the drivers side window. It's not an everytime thing though.

5. StevenF

StevenF New Member

Have experienced the window issue which can be intermittent on both front windows. I also have a rear and side assist failure that dealership states it needs a new sensor. Worked for about two days then failed. Kind of frustrating. The other thing I’ve noticed as I haven been able to get my 240 mile charge since it was handed over a the dealership. 210-220 is the max charge. I have the AWD Pro S Gradient edition.

6. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

We get to about 280 miles at 100% with our First Edition.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Gang Du

Gang Du New Member

We got our ID4, rear drive Pro S, in early Dec and just took a long trip from Chicago to St Pete, FL, back to NC and Pitts, then to home in Chicago. I like the car and here is my experiences with it. I also own a Model 3, so I will compare the two on many aspects.
    1. Performance, ID4 can't compete with Model 3, lacking in acceleration and braking (regenerate braking, for Model 3 I rarely use actual brake at all on all my drives, but ID4 I need to use almost like an ICE car).
    2. Comfortable ride, really nice. I like it better than Model 3, with larger cabin space.
    3. Trunk space is less than Model 3. I don't understand why under the front hood, they put in lots of stuff. Why? They should be able to squeeze out a front trunk like Model 3. We have two kids. The car was jam packed for the trip, not ID4's fault of course.
    4. Charging at Electrify America mostly, a few times (local) at L2 free charging sites. EA charging was overall ok, I am disappointed in the setup compared with Tesla charging. For Tesla, you just plug in, that is it (unless the station is not working). For EA, you have to open the App and find the station/post, then do a swipe. I have had about > 10 instances that an error occurred (ChargeStart Error or Connection Error) when start charging, had to call to get help. One time, it was raining, a really sucking experience.
    5. Computer console. This is the worst as far as comparing with Tesla. For a much smaller size, they have to do this multiple layers design, which makes it much less user friendly. My biggest complaint is the navigation, it is really bad as compared with Google map or Tesla. For out trip, we ended up using Google map navigation about 90%, only a few times I used ID4's to try out. The small console in front of the steering wheel is an improvement over Model 3.
    6. Mileage per charge. The math it used to guess the mileage you have for a charge is the funny part. I have been looking to the percentage only to track the usage and calculate myself every time I charge the car. My wife keep telling me that the mileage drops about 20 miles when only travel about 2 - 3 miles. I keep telling her not to look at the miles, but the percentage. When we left Chicago at about 30F, it says we have ~ 220 miles for 80%, then when reached to St Pete at 70F, it dropped to about 190 miles which is closer. The first leg of the trip from home to 1st charging stop in Lafayette, IN, it used 70% of the battery and travelled 138.5 miles, for 1.978 mile/1%. This number increased to about 2.3 when we reached St Pete.
    7. Wishes. Using cell phone as a fob like Tesla. Improvement of navigation, which is almost unusable. Braking hold position like Tesla, at stops at lights, for Tesla when you brake to a stop, the car comes into a braking hold position, you can move your foot off the pedal; for ID4, you have to hold the pedal until the light turns green, you will feel this when the stop is on an incline/decline.

pescatore and Domenick like this.
  9. There are a lot of factors that can affect range, with cold temperatures being a big one, along with speed and driving aggressiveness. If it's cold where you are, you'll see better range once things warm up.

wiltjer likes this.
  10. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

For the lane keeping issue, my wife has an Escape with that function and it behaves the same. What I do is tap the turn signal for left turn indication and it doesn't try to push me back in the lane. It also serves as a warning to anyone behind me that I am doing something.

DelRider and Domenick like this.
  11. I think you and I have the same car and similar "technical observations."

Ditto to all your comments cited above.

Re: #1, I suspect VW simply didn't well-coordinate the freq sensitivity of the camera with the freq of the reverse-lights. Our Acura's backup lights do not seem especially bright to the eye ... but on on the in-dash HMI, they light up the area like Klieg Lights!

I'd also add a 3a ... charge cable release inconsistent. Sometimes it auto-releases, sometimes it doesn't. (much like the interior light's operation) (This is at pre-configured charging "locations" set to "auto-release")

When it doesn't release, depressing "stop charging" on the HMI either doesn't display, or doesn't work. "3 rapid 'unlock' clicks" of the key fob (procedure in owner's manual) has always worked; but I dread the occasion that it doesn't and I've got to "fish" for the manual release lanyard.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    VeeDub'r likes this.
  14. I bought the above shield. I have no connection to the person who makes it. It works good, was a noticeable improvement.

15. Gang Du

Gang Du New Member

Near my home and work, there are couple of Volta free L2 charging spots, for my Model 3, it charges about 10% per hour (winter now), but only 2% for ID4. Have any ID4 owners had the similar L2 charging experience? Why is ID4 so slow at L2 charging (5 - 7 KWH)?

16. My home charger is 220v/30 amps and charges at about 14 miles an hour so that's about 6-7%. Do you have the current limiting button selected?

17. Gang Du

Gang Du New Member

Volta L2 is 32 A, 200 V. No selection button of any kind. Shows on Model 3 and ID4 @ 6KWh charging.

18. Mad Crew

Mad Crew New Member

anyone have issues with chargepoint home flex defaulting to 16A (14-50)? i noticed that when the car is off for an hour, it defaults to 16a when plugged in as opposed to full charge when plugging in as soon as you get out of the car.