Garmin EcoRoute settings

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Akinto, Aug 23, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Akinto

Akinto Member

The navigation system that came installed doesn’t have an EV setting within the EcoRoute option.

Seems ridiculous.

Does anybody know or use a good alternative?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mart

Mart New Member

Plugshare app has a route option. Don't know if this is what you are looking for.

4. Akinto

Akinto Member

I’m sorry. I wasn’t clear.

Different speeds, hills stop and go, affect our cars’ efficiency. I think that the EcoRoute suggests a route depending on the type of engine and your ful efficiency on the highway and in the city.

Here’s a link to what it does when installed on the Nuvi. https://www8.garmin.com/software/ecoRoute/pdfs/owners_manual_supplement.pdf

No PHEV

5. Johnhaydev

Johnhaydev Active Member

upload_2018-8-23_19-35-23.jpeg
    Here is a page from the navigation owners manual, page 111. Is this what were looking for?
    upload_2018-8-23_19-35-23.png upload_2018-8-23_19-35-23.jpeg

6. Johnhaydev

Johnhaydev Active Member

Sorry for the multiple image upload.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

Waze has a new setting for vehicle type, and EV is an option

iluvscuba and Akinto like this.
  9. Akinto

Akinto Member

I think that’s to tell Waze you can use the HOV lanes, which is great.

But I wish there was software that could determine the most efficient route for EVs, especially in the case where there are significant differences from ICEs.

10. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

Where in the linked documentation does Garmin indicate that their EcoRoute option improves PHEV milage by optimizing the route? Looks like it mostly helps track milage.

Akinto likes this.
  11. Akinto

Akinto Member

It doesn’t. I’m hoping someone has designed it. I thought it might have been embedded in our version of the Garmin. It’s not.

So now the question is, who does?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Hmmm........help me with the concept that efficient routes are any different for a PHEV than for an ICEV. It seems to me that the same route parameters affect both mpg and mpge. So long as we are managing our Clarity’s drive modes to minimize gas usage (as examples 1: HV mode on the highway and EV mode in the city and 2: maximizing regen braking) doesn’t the route affect PHEV and ICEV efficiency the same?

ClarityDoc and insightman like this.
  14. Akinto

Akinto Member

I think EV and ICE have peak efficiency at different velocities. Does it make sense to take a 89kph or 55 mph posted route than an interstate or 400 level highway if you’re using EV?

Does an EV waste less or more power than an ICE in stop and go traffic? If more, then rerouting should be more preferable than for ICE based calculations. And vv.

If you’re interested in fuel efficiency rather than time to destination, I think the algorithm might be different for EVs.