Garage Door Opener Automation

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by MRYFLYGUY, Dec 11, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MRYFLYGUY

MRYFLYGUY Active Member

I posted on f56 but t thought I would share here..

Technology has pretty much Homelink obsolete. I've been researching a WiFi solution for quite some time and finally installed a Liftmaster MYQ WiFi enabled GDO earlier this year. This allowed me to use the MyQ App on my phone but I still had to start the App and press OPEN/CLOSE. The final step in my GDO automation effort was to install a MyQ Home Bridge on my local network which allows the MyQ GDO to talk to Apple's HomeKit. The GDO now appears as a device in the Apple HOME App. When I approach the house, I give Siri a voice command - "Hey Siri, Open the Garage Door"- and HomeKit sends the command to the GDO. The best part of this smart home integration is I that I can open the GDO from any location (WiFI or LTE.5G) and any car with a voice command to Siri, as long as I have my phone.

upload_2022-12-11_10-7-14.png

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. endquote

endquote Active Member

Having the garage door on HomeKit is pretty nice. If you want that Home Bridge device, get it soon -- it seems to be discontinued.

I have mine set up using a piece of software (also called HomeBridge). Often when driving off I can't remember if I've closed the door, but it'll show up on the CarPlay screen, or I can ask Siri "is the garage door closed?" and it'll tell me.

SameGuy likes this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I've been wanting HomeKit garage doors, and I've recently been looking at Meross Smart Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener. I'm kind of holding off on adding any new smart home stuff until Matter stuff starts shipping, though.

endquote and SameGuy like this.
  5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I’ll add what I posted there as well. Thanks for xposting, @MRYFLYGUY — I believe the more experiences we can share, the more useful it is for everyone. I’ve learned so much here, at MF56, and NAM.

6. SameGuy

YUL
    I have had MyQ for years — since getting a Liftmaster jack shaft GDO for my side — but switched to the smarter Tailwind system a couple of years ago and don’t regret it. I’m sure it doesn’t fit everyone’s use case, but it’s perfect for us. We use the auto-open all the time — it’s so normal to us, that we get annoyed the once or twice in a year one of the doors doesn’t automagically open by the time we pull up to the house. I have auto-close turned on, but neither of us use it — even though timed-close would be a fail safe to the geofenced auto-close, neither of us feel 100% comfortable with it — so we close with HomeLink (me), Siri via Tailwind (me), or the now-25-year-old Liftmaster remote (her).

Also what a lot of MINI (or BMW) drivers don’t realize is if you have Siri set up correctly, the wireless CarPlay enables button-free Siri. Just say, “Hey Siri” as you would to your phone or HomePod. No need for a long-press.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MRYFLYGUY

MRYFLYGUY Active Member

All great ideas! I had an idevices switch set up on a hot water recirculating pump at our 2nd home with a geofence and it was always on when we arrived. I’ll see if I can do the same with HomeKit automation.

I don’t use CarPlay too much but will see I get the garage door prompt as I approach.

SameGuy likes this.
  9. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

I have the MSG100 and it's pretty great.
    In the past I had tried a similar product from BestBuy's house brand, Insignia, but that was very unreliable and I ended up returning it. So, I wasn't expecting much from Meross, but it has been solid.

10. MRYFLYGUY

MRYFLYGUY Active Member

I started CarPlay on my way home but did not notice a GDO button appear as I approached home. Could be a feature of the newer wireless CarPlay version, I have the wired version in my 2000 Subaru.

I added an automation scenario to the Home App that should open the GDO as I approach and will test it out tomorrow. May set up a close scenario but I sure don’t like the flashing lights and beeps the GDO generates when it’s closed by Wi-Fi. This is supposed to be a warning to those near the door but I’m sure the neighbors would hate it.

11. SameGuy

YUL
    I don’t use HomeKit, nor the myQ Home Bridge anymore, but I believe you have to use the distinct Homebridge software to which @endquote linked in order to get the on-screen prompt in CarPlay.

12. To remove this ad click here.