Future Honda charge management and V2G

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Walt R, Apr 12, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Walt R

Walt R Active Member

There's a new video on Transport Evolved which is an interview with a Honda engineer on Vehicle to Grid development.

Later in the video he mentions "V1G" which is charge management (without power flowing back from the car) and shows a different version of the HondaLink app which apparently enables this on the Fit EV he drives.

Thought many here would like to see these future HondaLink capabilities - starts here: [edit: 11:12 for Hondalink - forum dropped the time tag from the link]

Clarity_Newbie and KentuckyKen like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bill_m

bill_m Member

Thanks for the video. Ouch! I realized I was one of the culprits, charging up the battery as soon as I got home in the evening, leaving it with full charge for many hours!

I hope future versions of clarity timer software and hondalinks will provide for scheduling final charge time for full charges, instead of requiring specification of only the initial charge times.

4. Walt R

Walt R Active Member

I've been hearing recently that it is bad for the Li Ion batteries to hold them at full charge. Although I need a full charge for my commute, I'm starting to think it would be a good idea to just charge to 60% or so on Friday nights and then top off the rest, including weekend usage, on Sunday night.

5. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

I wouldn't worry about taking your charge level to 100% overnight. Honda, in their FAQ's, states that topping off the battery over night is fine. Now if you are driving several days after topping it off, that's another story. Then I would keep the charge at 30%-70% for more than a few days of inactivity. Screenshot_20190412-195925_Word.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Inside EVs mobile app

6. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

This is why I chose the Clarity over Tesla...things evolve soooo quickly.

I was on the cusp of a Tesla purchase when I figured why now? Tesla is a great car and very state of the art but I couldn't help think the EV technology changes so quick that in 5 years...the battery tech, drive train tech and EV charging would be mo better. Rumors of solid state batteries as well.

My time period for Clarity ownership is 5 years...then check out the EV landscape.

I love the Clarity but it is clearly a "transition" vehicle as things evolve.

Hats off to those who continue to push the boundaries and accomplish things the "experts" said would take decades.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

"Hats off to those who continue to push the boundaries and accomplish things the "experts" said would take decades."

I applaud your optimism (on battery development, specifically solid state) and hope it is founded, but let's not count our chickens before their hatched. As an example: hard to imagine that we are almost 50 years removed from the first LI ion battery being developed.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-06/before-the-electric-car-takes-over-someone-needs-to-reinvent-the-battery

Sent from my SM-G955U using Inside EVs mobile app

9. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

Richard_arch74

Hence the word "rumor" regards solid state batteries.

10. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I would dearly love for solid state affordable Li-ion batteries to be an available and mature technology in 10 years when I find out what my Clarity is worth used. But I’m not gonna bet the farm in it.
    After all fusion power has been just 5 years away for the past 20 years.

11. AlAl

AlAl Active Member

Sounds like the Clarity is V2G compatible then?
    If so, super excited to see a future utility for this car (namely, back-feed of power to homes during outages)
    One could comfortably power a house for a day or two on the 17kw pack. Not to mention, a gas generator back-up!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The other Claritys (and the Japanese-market Clarity Plug-In Hybrid with its fast-charge DC port) are compatible with Honda's very expensive (more than $9K, I believe) Power Exporter 9000, which can power home appliances in a power outage.

upload_2019-4-13_22-33-42.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  14. Walt R

Walt R Active Member

I believe that is "future compatibility" - in the video he talks about building the DC-to-AC converter into the onboard charger (which is the AC-to-DC converter for charging), but that implies it cannot currently do this.

In the meantime, you can safely (*I'm not warrantying your car here) wire a 1-2 kW inverter into the 12V terminals on your car to power a small selection of devices during an outage. I've actually done this on the Prius and it's pretty neat - leave car "On" and it only runs the engine when the battery falls too low. Details are in this thread: https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/clarity-as-a-back-up-power-source-dc-dc-converter-size-idle-behavior.1027/

I would love to have the V1G capability though - charge based on leave time rather than start time, shift charging to times of cheaper or cleaner power. On the weekend I could just charge when the solar panels are overproducing. I think the Juicebox offers some of this, and I think they do it through this service: https://www.watttime.org/