Further reduction for the 80% mileage range?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Rainer, Jul 5, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rainer

Rainer New Member

In April the Campaign P29 was performed on my vehicle, verifying my max charging limit to be 80%. The mileage was ~220 miles, when charging to 80% (consistent with a 100% mileage of ~ 275 miles):
    range_220miles_for_80percent.jpg
    After another visit to the Hyundai service department for a 12V battery discharging problem a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the 80% charge level corresponds now only to a mileage of ~180 miles:
    range_180miles_for_80percent.jpg
    I suspect that an update had been performed, which redefines the prior 80% level (with ~220 miles) as a ‘new’ 100%. As I have my charge limit still at 80% the resulting range is only 80% of 220 miles: ~ 180 miles.

The service department unfortunately could not provide a clear answer to my question and was just telling me that my HV battery would soon be replaced anyhow and after that any problems (including that 12V battery discharge problem) would go away.

Anybody else in this forum had a similar observation / experience?

ehatch likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Could it be that right before the 180 mile charge you were doing some high-consumption driving?

4. NSKonaEV

NSKonaEV New Member

Battery range depends mostly on driving habit.
    What is your average kwh consumption ? If it's higher you will get lower range and its lower you will get higher range.

5. What does the guess-o-meter and Avg Consumption meter in the car show?

For comparison, I'm getting from 4.0 to 5.1 miles per kilowatt-hour, which works out to about 220 miles @ 80%

6. Rainer

Rainer New Member

With my driving and climate conditions I get ~ 4.1miles per kWh since I own the car. That has not changed. Before my recent service visit I got consistently ~220 miles for a 80% charge. Only after the service visit on 17. June 2021 I get ~180miles for 80%. I verified that for several charging sessions. The ~ 4.1 miles per kWh is the same. That is why I assume another update had been performed during my service visit, which changed the limit. I could not get a clear answer from the service department and like to know, whether anybody else here in this forum experienced the same change recently?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I have had all of the recalls perform and do not see any reduction in range. When they do updates it sometimes resets the GOM to the factory default. Once you start driving and the car sees real life consumption it will update according.
    I charge to 80% yesterday and it showed 285 Miles left.

9. That's pretty good, Joev. Your 285 miles at 70% is 458km, which is real world range at 100% on my 2021 Australian model. (My long term consumption is 14kWh/100km, = 4.4 miles/kWh)

10. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

YES, and I question my sanity, thus I take screen shots like you,plus the driver's display. I have posted my unhappiness with literally losing the range of i-MiEV , pre lizard Leaf , spark. Also consumption is all over the place now,thankfully city if more reliable in the summer.

11. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Not with my Kona,it's always been off regardless. Post the campaigns,and recalls, it got worse.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rainer

Rainer New Member

Update to my original post:

I collected data for several home charging sessions (240V home charger):

For each charging session I noted the SOC % at the start and the SOC % at the stop and the time it took for that charge. If I plot the SOC charge % versus the charge time and compare prior charging sessions (blue dots) and the ‘new’ charging sessions (orange dots) it becomes clear, that nothing has changed:

upload_2021-7-27_10-13-9.png

Conclusion:

My initial suspicion, that the prior 80% SOC level had been redefined as a ‘new’ 100% SOC level was wrong.

It is simply, that the available mileage displayed after charging had been reduced:

upload_2021-7-27_10-14-33.png

Still, I don’t know, why that would be, as I have not changed my driving style and the average ~ 4.1miles per kWh as displayed on the Drive Info is still the same.

upload_2021-7-27_10-13-9.png upload_2021-7-27_10-14-33.png