Fuel Economy Calculation Ignores Electricity Use

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by V8Power, Jul 7, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

I've been driving our new Clarity on Econ mode for local trips and daily commute so it's been 99% in EV mode with nearly no gas used. In Canada, the trip computer for most trips show 0 L/100km economy and dash shows and average 0.3 L/100km so far after 250km and I think will drop further. This indicates that the care ignores electric energy usage and makes not attempt to blend electric/gas usage like MPGe methods or separately account for gas economy and electric economy.

Has anyone noticed this? Is there a setting I've missed to see the electric side or tell the car to account for both? Thoughts?

Randy Stegbauer likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. WindsorBoy

WindsorBoy New Member

I haven't noticed anything that reports this but if you ever find it please post and let us know.

4. Emanuel Green

Emanuel Green Member

Yup, you're right, it's completely ignoring electric consumption and treating it as infinite ICE mileage. I wish they would account for it as MPGe or something.

5. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

The Volt did that originally as well (and still does, but offers both now). The Gen 1 Volt had a giant "250 MPG" printed on the display when running on mostly electricity, and also tracked "Lifetime MPG" without considering electric usage. Marketing garbage as it doesn't really mean anything other than maybe how much gas you are not using. MPGe is more meaningful as it is total energy used, including charging inefficiencies.

Tracking efficiency with only half the picture is like saying I can walk to work in 20 steps (from my house to the car, and the car to work door), ignoring the fact that I drove 5 miles. Although technically true, if I tell someone that without mentioning the drive it is very misleading.

Randy Stegbauer likes this.
  6. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

Given that the Clarity's #1 feature is fuel/energy economy, not having any reasonably accurate energy efficiency measurement is a big miss on Honda's part. At least have kWh/100km (Miles/kWh) & L/100km (MPG) separate better than essentially nothing. So basic and the hardware probably supports this.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Headaches Honda is avoiding:
    Clarity owner A: My Clarity gets 3.3 m/kWh.
    Clarity owner B: WTF, my Clarity gets only 3.1 m/kWh; I'm taking it to the dealer to be checked out.
    Clarity owner C: my Clarity used to get 3.3 m/kWh but after a year, just 2.9; I'm starting a class-action lawsuit.

Interestingly, my gen 1 Insight is the only Honda to offer a lifetime MPG read-out. Now you get "Lifetime Points" and trees that grow green leaves. Precise metering of efficiency would be nice, but it isn't in Honda's best interest. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a way to call up the info screens the Clarity PHEV's developers certainly used as they fine-tuned the car's performance?

Randy Stegbauer and KentuckyKen like this.
  9. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

It is one of my complaints with the Clarity vs the Volt, but honestly it will confuse most people and Honda wanted to make it a normal of car as possible. I would still like to see it on infotainment display though, I am sure the car already calculates it.

10. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

They could easily make us agree to some indemnity to turn it on. Lawyer up against laywers. Done.

11. ace base

ace base Member

I don’t think this is indemnity issue, as we all get different actual mileage than EPA label (which is independently tested).

I suspect this is a complex calculation as the software needs to track battery charged by electricity vs the engine vs traction. Thats only one side of the equation, then it needs to track consumption and which one to be debited against (electricity charging vs engine charging). Very likely the charging differentiation is not recorded hence there is no way to accurately calculate consumption. With some assumptions the software can report calculate miles driven on electric use between each plugin intervals and log it somewhere like say last 10 records.

But MPGe calculation should be done, which it seems to report but it’s way off from actual

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I kinda see you point here. I would be happy(er) if it displayed how many kWh of electricity was used to charge it from the charge port. I guess I could keep my Kill-a-watt always monitoring.