Frustrations as an EV user?

Discussion in 'General' started by andy_ev, Jan 3, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. andy_ev

andy_ev New Member

Hi there! Do you have frustrations as an EV user?

If so, share your frustrations by completing this quick survey about "Frustrations you have as an EV user". We are a start-up and the answers will be used to build software that solves these frustrations.

The survey link is https://forms.gle/7SXRuzZAJ4ttUfq47 and should only take around 60 seconds to complete.

Alternatively, if you don't like filling in surveys, feel free to just brain-dump your frustrations in this thread [​IMG] :D

Andy

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Did the survey but I don't have any frustrations.. I already have a reminder on my phone to charge my car at a certain time. I don't use scheduled charging as I don't like having to override it when I charge on the road..
    For all the other question in the survey, my car already has all the data to provide it to me..
    I'm very happy with my EV with no frustrations.. Drove it almost 18000 miles in the last 6 months..

andy_ev likes this.
  4. Likewise here. Seems the OP has a solution to peddle (or develop) for a problem that doesn't exist, as we already have the tools and info with the car.

andy_ev likes this.
  5. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Driving behind piluting cars is frustrating.

andy_ev likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

It was a confusing survey:
    • 1st question - NO :: when I park at home, I already know it is to be plugged in if I don't have a quick errand right away (aka., came home to get my wallet.)
    • All others - YES :: features already in both my EVs.
    Not trying to second guess the survey goals and objectives, I just answered the questions and moved on.

Bob Wilson

andy_ev likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. andy_ev

andy_ev New Member

Thanks for your responses, all valid responses, some EV users appear to have lots of frustrations, some have very few, depending on the vehicle brand - anyone else have any frustrations for the survey or the forum?

9. bwilson4web

Three answers would make it better:
    • Yes
    • No
    • Already have

gooki likes this.
  10. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

I think you may be drawing incorrect conclusions. The questions aren’t presented as frustrations. I.e.

Would it be useful to see each morning how many miles you can do today, based on your driving behaviour?

I would answer yes to this question. Not because I’m frustrated, but because it’s useful, and my car already gives me that information. If you wanted to know my frustration level you should reword it.

ericy likes this.
  11. FloridaSun

The only frustrations I encountered owning an EV is that there are still holes in the charging infrastructure and the pricing issue with Electrify America for Kona and Niro owners that makes it cheaper to take a gas guzzler on a road trip instead of your Kona or Niro as we are charged more than twice of what for example a Bolt owner is charged for the same amount of energy.. It costs us about $30 to $35 for 170 miles of range, so, it would be $60 for 340 miles. It would cost me $42 to drive 340 miles with my wife's 20 mpg minivan..

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    bwilson4web likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bwilson4web

My testing confirms this:
    HSV_Manchester_Nash_HSV_010.jpg

Bob Wilson

14. FloridaSun

I travel from Lakeland/FL to Fort Lauderdale/FL a few times per year (210 to 215 miles from my home to a 50kw Electrify charger in Davie/FL).
    I leave my home at 100% and get to Davie at around 22 to 23%, charge for 55 minutes to about 80% for $13 and then use free Level 2 chargers to get to close to 100% to get back home. So, that approx. 450 mile round trip only costs me less than $20 counting my cost for my initial charge at my home. However, the only reason I can make the trip that cheap is because the 50kw charger is limited to Tier 1 pricing.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  15. andy_ev

andy_ev New Member

Thanks all. Why is it cheaper for a Bolt driver to use Electrify America, compared to more expensive for a Nero or Kona driver? Do the car manufacturers
    subsidies the electricity?

16. bwilson4web

It is a function of the charging speed.

Under frustration, did I mention higher EV taxes?

Bob Wilson

17. andy_ev

andy_ev New Member

Ahh of course, as Electrify America charge per minute. Do you think they will change to per kWh at some point? Some states have suggested legislation to make it mandatory - do you think that will happen?

18. That survey didn't make sense to me.
    I can't answer those questions because if I answer yes it would be helpful, that implies that I can't see that information yet, which I do. If I answer no, it implies that I don't want that information, which is not true either.

I think that survey is asking the questions in a wrong way, or actually the answer to those questions is not a yes/no answer as suggested and therefore I can't participate. Also I think the title is misleading, it's not frustrations, but feature requests.

Just my 2¢.

bwilson4web likes this.
  19. FloridaSun

Pricing structure. EA charges 21 cents per minute for cars that can acxept UP TO 75 kwh of charge and 59 cents foe cars that can accept more than 75kwh but less than 125kwh. Above 125kwh they charge 89 cents per minute. Konas and Niros barely ever charge faster than 75kwh but the car communicates 77kwh as the maximum charge it can accept and pricing is based on that. The average speed of a Kona session from 10 to 80% is probably below 60kwh and it usually peaks below 75kwh. Only in ideal conditions, the car will charge above 75kwh but EA doesn't use actual speed in their pricing structure, just maximum speed in ideal conditions.

20. It's like pumping regular into your ICE car and paying for premium because technically your car can take it.
    It's a rip-off.

FloridaSun likes this.