Front Parking Sensors (New member)

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by NP27, Jun 14, 2019 at 5:42 AM.

1. NP27

NP27 New Member

Hello. I'm a new member here and have been enjoying reading all these posts over the last few weeks. I've had my Kona EV for 3 weeks now and loving it so far. These forums have provided a wealth of information, and have been enjoyable too!

I have a question about the front parking sensors, wondering if this is normal or if anyone else has experienced. When I park in my garage, I use the sensor warnings to judge how far forward I can park. This has been working great, until the last few days. Now I regularly, if not always, never get a warning as I get closer to obstacles in front of me. I've tested this elsewhere other than my garage. If I stop, change gear to "R", then the warning beeps start. If I then switch back to "D", the warning beeps continue normally. It's just on the initial approach that I no longer get warning beeps/display. Should I be taking it in? I'm concerned with it being somewhat intermittent, or occurring under those certain conditions, that it won't be reproduced "properly" and hence be dismissed. Any thoughts?

Again, thanks for the excellent reading and knowledge being passed on here.

SkookumPete likes this.
  2. electriceddy

electriceddy Active Member

Push the parking sensor button in the center console so the blue light is on, see 18:09 of this video
    https://insideevs.com/news/343283/hyundai-kona-electric-every-button-explained-explored-video/
    Rear sensors are automatic when in reverse, front sensors turn on with this button on low speed forward.
    Note : not really explained well in the manual, just try it and see if that helps.

NP27 likes this.
  3. NP27

NP27 New Member

Thank you!! I've been going crazy cleaning sensors, going through EVERY setting in every menu, testing different scenarios. I completely forgot about that button. Boy, do I feel stupid! Thanks again.

electriceddy likes this.
  4. electriceddy

electriceddy Active Member

The parking sensors blurb in the manual pages 3-113 to 3-120 doesn't make a lot of sense , I prefer the way described in the video above.

5. NP27

NP27 New Member

The funny thing is, I had watched that video before I picked up the car. Also read the manual before and after picking up the car. Apparently I need a refresher!

6. R P

R P Member

Reminds me of a stupid situation I had with a previous new car. I brought it home new, and after driving a few times at night, noticed that the interior was lit up like a xmas tree, and the HU display, nav, etc shone so bright it affected my ability to see outside properly. I read the manual and it said that it should automatically change from day to night lighting, with the HU nav display, etc. But that just wasn't happening with mine. Tried changing settings (whether the display would change by time, or auto night recognition), but nothing had any effect.

Then I read in the car's forum that others have had the same problem. Turns out there is a manual interior lights dimmer switch, and if you have it clicked on the highest setting, it stays that way, and the car settings don't work. All I had to do was adjust it down one click and everything was good after that. But it sure had me fooled for a while...