Front license plate on your MINI?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by HappyKafka, Jul 1, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Where I live (California) it’s pretty much mandatory to have license plates on the front and rear of your car. I suspect most cops turn a blind eye to missing front plates, but still it could lead to a ticket. On the other hand, I feel like the MINI design doesn’t really seem to want a plate on the front (it definitely looks cleaner without it). Just wondering, do you all plan to put a plate on the front or your MINI or not?

endquote likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Godfrey

Godfrey Member

In California, you can order a vinyl license plate wrap. I have one on my GTI and it's great. I'm still waiting on my new Mini and told the dealer to not drill the front bumper so I can get another vinyl plate. I believe you have to wait for permanent plates and then order the wrap version in the same style as the permanent plates that were mailed to you. Link: https://licenseplatewrap.com

Patrick drumm and HappyKafka like this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

This was discussed a bit in another thread. I live in a state where they are required, and tickets are definitely handed out. In my state every car just comes from the dealer with a front plate holder. I posted a photo of my front plate holder in that other thread taken when I put on my plates.

HappyKafka likes this.
  5. TripleD

TripleD Active Member

Yep, required in Colorado. Dealer put on a plate holder and I ordered a cover.

HappyKafka likes this.
  6. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Yes, TX also requires a front plate. But I completely agree with you that the MINI looks cleaner without it. So, in my case, I installed a plate mount commercially available that screws into the front tow lug (through the right front bumper) and mounted the plate on it, off center to the right, which presents (IMHO) a cleaner look.

But, some cautions -- be sure to get one that has a mounting shank long enough to accommodate the curvature of the front bumper while allowing the plate to mount at the same driving angle (perpendicular to your travel direction) as the regular center mounted plate. I had some difficulty with this for my 2021 model SE, but the front bumper design is different on the 2022 (which may be easier or harder to deal with, I have no info). Also, be sure to tighten all fasteners REALLY well, including using a product like Loctite. And, if you have trouble with the alignment of the plate holder and/or the plate itself (especially in some car washes), add a nice but stiff license plate frame too.

In any case, and again personally, I think the effort is worth it in being able to present a nice looking front end on your MINI while still accommodating state front plate requirements.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    scooter, endquote, GvilleGuy and 2 others like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Not required in Ohio, so no front plate.

HappyKafka and TripleD like this.
  9. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

I specifically requested the dealer not install the front plate holder on my car because I didn't want screw holes in the bumper (had to remind them like 6 times!). I'm glad I did because the screws holding the rear plate frame are all crooked...

I plan on using a tow hook mount whenever Oregon gets around to sending me my plates but am definitely enjoying the clean look for now!

HappyKafka likes this.
  10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

For years, Steve Jobs got away with having no license plate--front or rear--by taking advantage of a California loophole that allowed people with new cars to go awhile without plates. He kept buying a AMG Mercedes when the "old" one was legally required to have plates. California closed that loophole a couple of years ago.

heelsbigc and HappyKafka like this.
  11. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

In Minnesota we get temporary paper permits that are taped to the inside rear window. They're good for 21 days, but due to a DMV software upgrade failure I had to get three permits before my plates actually got issued. All one has to do is go to the dealer to pick up a new piece of paper. I ended up driving over two months without plates.

And then it took almost four months for me to get my vanity plates due to the pandemic, but I drove around with my regular issued plates for that time.

HappyKafka likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

I've also seen people in CA who keep their front plate on the dash, which I always thought was weird.

HappyKafka likes this.
  14. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

I drove my SLK for decades here without a front plate without issue. Used to "zip tie" it to the bumper for the annual safety inspection.

Lainey, HappyKafka and polyphonic like this.
  15. bmartinez028

bmartinez028 Active Member

Southern CA here. Told dealer not to install front plate bracket when car arrived. They made us sign a paper on delivery day acknowledging it’s not legal and they offered to install.
    View attachment 12551

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Lainey and HappyKafka like this.

16. That’s a great idea. Thanks for the link!

17. Carsten Haase

After 2 months of a clean front end, my plates finally came in the mail. I don't hate the front plate as much as I expected with the offset mount but definitely not as nice as no plate... On the plus side, now that I have my registration I can apply for the $2500 Oregon rebate!

I ended up using the CravenSpeed tow hook mount:
    20210805_204508.jpg

20210805_204520.jpg

18. I did the same as you. I ordered the Platypus through Amazon (supposed to come in the mail today, actually). I started with a cheaper $20 version, but the rod that holds the plate was too small. Also, it was kind of flimsy. Looking at yours, I think it actually looks pretty cool. Thanks for the pic. You and I have the same color car, so now I can see exactly what it’s going to look like.

As a side note, I’m still waiting on my personalized plates. I ordered those three and a half months ago and was recently told by the dmv that it could take as long as six.

19. Novadar

Novadar Active Member

If my MINI ever actually gets finished and shipped and in my possession, I have to install a front tag living in Texas.

Carsten, Can you share exact version/model number or other detail for this CravenSpeed mount? There's such a litany of choices. Your's works and looks great. Thank you in advance!

20. Carsten Haase

I ordered directly from their website: part # CS-AE782-915

They're based out of Portland (10min from my dealer) so shipping was super fast for me.

If you have front parking sensors be aware that it will block them so they won't work on the passenger side. The kit includes parking sensor "blinders" which are just foam stickers to prevent them from triggering.

It sits very close to the bumper but is nice and solid so shouldn't be an issue

20210806_195338.jpg

endquote, HappyKafka and Novadar like this.
  21. Novadar

Novadar Active Member

Awesome. Thanks for the additional information as well.

22. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I like the off center look.

Texas22Step likes this.
  23. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Does the tow hook mount contribute to wind noise?