Front bumper damage

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Newkirk, May 30, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Newkirk

Newkirk Active Member

I just noticed this after I came out of a store today. Hadn't parked close to anyone (I always try to park far away from other cars), but it may have been a different day and I just hadn't noticed. Can't imagine where it could have happened, but it seems some idiot might have backed into my front bumper with their hitch or something. In the first picture you can see the bumper is sunken in a bit above the two gashes. In the third picture you can also see how the plastic part below the gashes is deformed and protrudes down a bit. I am angry that someone did this to my beautiful car, but I'm mostly sad....

I don't imagine there's a way to fix this completely without replacing that entire part, which is probably very expensive. Has anyone had that same part replaced? Would a body shop be able to fill in those gashes with something and then use touch-up paint to cover it up? Any ideas of what I can do to fix this, or at least to make it a lot less noticeable?

Thanks!
    IMG_5282.JPG
    IMG_5278.JPG
    IMG_5276.JPG

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

A decent body shop can take that off, use some magic and filler then spray part of the bumper so the edges still match and it will be practically unnoticeable.

Or, since you haven't mounted your license plate, mount it off center and cover up the damage. I took a picture of my plate and had a bumper sticker made. That would cover it up. I forgot the dimensions. I think I went 5 3/16 x 10 3/8

4. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

5. Newkirk

Newkirk Active Member

I live in Florida, so no front license plate. But I'll take it to a body shop and see what they say. I noticed yesterday when I looked at it in full sun that it's actually cracked a little bit on the sides of the top gash. But hopefully it's something they can fix. I also have my two-year maintenance coming up in July, so I'll call the dealer to see how much they might charge to order, paint, and install that part. Thank you both!

6. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

Given the age and value of the vehicle I’d personally get it fixed with a new part rather than filler and a localized blow over… that’s more the sort of thing I’d do when the car drops under 10k or so…

JonR likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.